commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Records  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
My Dad was 45 RM Commando E Troop and served with 1st Special Service brigade on D Day
when i applied for his records some 15 Years ago all i got back was 2 A4 sheets of paper. (attached)
Is this the norm.
Is it worth applying again to see if they missed anything. i know he was in hong kong but no record of this.

When i applied for my Grandads service records it was the complete opposite, i received a mountain of the stuff over 50 A5 pages

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Regards
[Thumb - Dads Servcie records 1.JPG]
 Filename Dads Servcie records 1.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  323 time(s)

[Thumb - 1-IMG_20160327_0001.jpg]
 Filename 1-IMG_20160327_0001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  322 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/06/2019 11:32:22

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm afraid that is what we've learned to expect from WWII RM service records - I've seen one case that consisted of 4 entries!

Army Service records are far more detailed - but that doesn't help you, I'm afraid.

I tend to see Army Records most so I don't know if anyone else knows any other way of getting more information from RM records?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yeah i thought as much.
I wonder if i should try again? see if they missed anything
Thanks for replying Nick. much appreciated
[Email]
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick. what pattern FS knife would he have been issued?
i do remember his when i was about 5 but he gave a lot of stuff to his barber (can you believe it)
Gutted needless to say. i do have a knife that i got from Nowillls & Sons which i got to put on his display frame but i would love an original

Kind regards nick

steve

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Steve,
I'm not an expert on the FS Fighting Knives but I do know there were several manufacturers and several different versions of each Pattern!

Seeing as he didn't convert to RM Commandos until quite late I would say he probably had a 3rd Pattern...

However, I'd ask the experts - Paul MacDonald and Ivan Gamsby - for their opinon. I don't know how often they visit the Website these days but you can get them on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6030683278/

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If you re apply you may get a lot more info, you can claim all records 25 years after the death of the person, before you only got the bare minimum.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Steve

At the time you applied for the service records I do not believe that they checked the Royal Marines victualling records as well. It is done automatically now. You can find out by ringing the number on our Research Advice section for Service Records on this link. I found them most helpful when I spoke with them.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

RM service docs are only 4 pages usually on parchment, I applied for my grandads and they were very sparse as Nic stated. I did however have his kit list on demob sent me as well as attestation papers, med papers, medal card, conduct sheet amongst other things. Took about 6 weeks.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for the reply guys. i think i'll reapply

Kindest Regards
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger