commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information on a lovatt scout  XML
Forum Index » Tips on Research
Marty keer
Forum Member

Hi everyone I am new on here and I was wondering if anyone could I am trying to research my grandad Bernard Keer.
I was told he was a Lovatt Scout,

If there is anyone who can help it would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Marty
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Marty,

I'm afraid that we don't know much about the Lovat Scouts other than they were a Highland regiment. Many were gamekeepers so their skills at sniping were well known.

Simon Fraser, - later the 15th Lord (Fraser of) Lovat - was commissioned as a subaltern in the Lovat Scouts - then a Territorial Army unit but fell out with his superiors and transferred to the regular army, while still a second lieutenant joining the Scots Guards in 1931. He was promoted lieutenant in August 1934, but, again Lovat resigned his regular commission as a lieutenant in 1937...
In June 1939, just months before the Second World War, Lord Lovat also resigned his reserve commission!
In July, however, as war approached, he was mobilized as a captain in the Lovat Scouts.
The following year, he volunteered to join one of the new commando units being formed by the British Army, and was eventually attached to No. 4 Commando.

In the whole of the six long years of the Second World War, Lord Lovat served hardly more than six days in action. And yet he became universally known and accepted as a great war hero, finishing the War as Brigadier Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat and 4th Baron Lovat, DSO, MC. Because of his connection with the Lovat Scouts, it is often believed the the Lovat Scouts were also commandos - but that was not the case.

To find out about your grandfather's service in the Army I would recommend that you apply to the MoD for a scan of his original, handwritten service record. The MoD is the only custodian of WWII Service Records so please don't be taken in by scurrilous claims by online genealogy sites claiming to have "over 22 million war records" and urging you to search through "all Military Records". It will cost a lot of money for you to discover that they don't have your grandfather's records...
But the MoD do.
It will cost a one off fee of £30 and you'll need to know his date of birth and send in a copy of his Death Certificate - also available online from the Gov.UK Site...

Here are links to the two forms you'll need:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711151/20180524-request_service_details_general_enquirers_pt1_v6.1__1_.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

and a link for the Death Cert.

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

I hope this has been useful and I'm sorry we can't offer any information about your grandfather. But good luck with your research...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The Highlanders Museum have a section on the Lovat Scouts. Might be worth emailing them as well

https://www.thehighlandersmuseum.com/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike winter
Forum Member

Hello Marty

If you look on line at Never More-James m Gunn it will give you some idea of what the Lovat Scouts were doing in Italy.

My father was also in Italy with the Scouts

Regards Mike Winter

Forum Index » Tips on Research
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger