commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
41 Commando: D-Day and Walcheren LCF 38  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

My father, Derrick parsons, was in 41 Commando on D-Day and also on LCF 38 at Walcheren. Details of his service are sparse, even though I've got his service record. Any suggestions on where I can get more information?
Derrick Parsons
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Post service record on here, it will be interpreted, I can help with that.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

I'll try and send a copy later on today.
Many thanks,
Derrick Parsons
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

As I said, his Service Record is sparse and I have attached the relevant extract. The rest of it just deals with dates of recruitment etc. Therre seems to be few details of hisa ctual service. He was definitely in 41 Commado at Walcheren and we assume that he was in 41 at the D-Day landings. As with so many men, he was very reluctant to say anything about his service. If you could help in any way, that would be appreciated. I have sent off for details of his Copra 'pay and victualling' but have not had anything back from them yet.
Regards,
Derrick
[Thumb - Service_record_DEP.jpg]
 Filename Service_record_DEP.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 715 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  305 time(s)

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I would suggest posting all documents as names can give clues to units, operations etc. Plus any photos.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

There's not a lot more information to show on his record. It's 4 pages, two of which have practically nothing on them.
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

LCF stands for Landing Craft Flak so it may well be that as a marine he was a gunner on this vessel.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

I believe that to be the case. The LCFs were crewed by naval personnel for the actual 'sailing' and the marines manned the various guns.
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

LCF's was were built in three batches. No 38 was one of the last group to be built...Nos 19-46.
Three LCF's were lost during the war.. Nos 31/37 & 38 and two of these were lost at Walcheren but I don't know which ones.

Peter Cooper
Forum Member

This is a photo of LCF32 so 38 would have similar.
[Thumb - LCF38.jpg]
 Filename LCF38.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  324 time(s)

DerrickParsons
Forum Member

Many thanks for this useful information.
Derrick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Derrick

DerrickParsons wrote:I believe that to be the case. The LCFs were crewed by naval personnel for the actual 'sailing' and the marines manned the various guns.

Can I confirm that you're saying he was in 41 RM Cdo on D-Day and on LCF 38, as a Gunner, at Walcheren?

It just that if he was in the RM Commandos then he wouldn't have served on board any ship/craft...

It is a common misconception that all Royal Marines were Royal Marine Commandos - as they are today - but this was not the case.
Prior to 1942, when the first RM Commando was formed, the RMs were not commandos. They had many roles including Artillery, Infantry and Light Infantry but not Commandos...

In 1942, Churchill suggested that the country needed more Commando Units to compliment the Army Commandos that had been formed in 1940. He turned to the Royal Marines to fulfil that role.

The first RM Commando was formed , like the Army Commandos, from volunteers. After this eight other RM Units were formed by converting whole RM Infantry Battalions to make a total of nine RM Commandos (40 RM Cdo to 48 RM Cdo inclusive)
When berets were introduced to The Royal Marines, in July 1943, they were issued with navy blue berets with a red 'tomb' behind the cap badge.
In August 1943, the green beret was issued to RM Commandos in lieu of the RM blue beret.

At the end of the War, the Army Commandos were disbanded and the Commando role was given to the Royal Marines. They now started to train new recruits and career marines as commandos and it wasn't until 1964 that the whole of the Royal Marine Corps were commando trained and entitled to wear the green beret - as they do today.

So is it possible that your father was a RM gunner on the Landing Craft that took 41 RM Cdo in to the beaches on D-Day; and then on LCF 38 at Walcheren?

The only other possibility for him to have been both a commando and then a crew member on LCF 38 was if he was posted out of the RM Commandos.

It really is a shame that the information in RM Service Records is always so scant...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

He was definitely in the 41 Commando and landed on Sword Beach on D-Day. He was not an RM gunner.

My understanding is that RM's manned the guns on LCFs and those in the RN did the sailing.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

DerrickParsons wrote:

My understanding is that RM's manned the guns on LCFs and those in the RN did the sailing.

That's correct, but you must appreciate that there were Royal Marines and Royal Marine Commandos and RM Commandos did not man any guns on board any sea craft...

Do you have any photos of him in uniform from that era - there may be clues there...

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/06/2019 21:23:19

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Derrick,

I don't know whether you seen this or not but it is all about LC(F) 38 and your father is listed on it...

http://www.wigard.nl/WO2/Infatuate/Wilks/index.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger