commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Trying to identify an RN Commando raid on the Channel Islands  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Clare Hunt
Forum Member

Hi, I am the Curator of RML 497, a Rescue Motor Launch from WWII. She arrived with us this year with a set of memoirs from the motor mechanic who describes a commando raid that the boat supported. Unfortunately, he does not say the date (though it looks like it may be 1944, possibly shortly before D-Day) but he describes 8 RN commandos with 4 canoes going ashore and coming back with a captured German guard, then going back to shore and some explosions were seen. The commandos then returned with one of them having lost his lower leg on some defences (a mine?) and carried across another man's canoe. The vessel then escaped under fire. The injured man died but the commando who carried his body back was awarded the Military Medal.

The amount of information is fascinating but the key info such as names, dates etc is missing. Can anyone suggest how I might find out what this raid on the Channel Islands was about and who was involved? I feel that the military Medal might be the key but haven't yet found out who it was awarded to (it's not listed in the National Archive online). Also, it needs to be borne in mind that the memoirs are not always completely accurate, having been written some time after the events so, for instance, it may have been a different medal that was awarded.

I have the full transcript of the description of this raid for anyone interested, or anyone who thinks they might be able to help.

Thanks in advance!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Sounds like Operation Hardtack 4 Dec. 1943. Sgt Douglas Nash was awarded the M.M.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/DouglasNash12Commando

I have the citation which I have yet to add but at the time of raid he is shown as a Corporal and part of the Holding Operational Commando.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7395827

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to clarify Hardtack 4 was on the 26/27 December on the French coast. I would have to double check if it was that or one of the other Hardtack raids but will do so.

There was a Hardtak operation on Sark on the same date but no MM as far as I am aware.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2019 16:11:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Clare,

It certainly has similarities to 'Op Hardtack 28' - Dec 1943.
The person who received fatal injuries was Captain Phillip Ayton, A&S Highlanders & SBS.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2019 16:16:17

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Yes, That may well be the one Nick.

[Email]
Clare Hunt
Forum Member

Thanks very much! I have read about the Hardtack raids but couldn't see an exact match, perhaps because the memoir is a bit muddled. I could certainly pursue that avenue of research if you don't think there are any other Channel Island raids apart from Hardtack that this might relate to. I'm very grateful for your help!
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

There were so many Op Hardtacks over a very short period it's hard to determine which one fits the bill...
As far as I know there was no MM awarded on Hardtack 28 - so it could be Hardtack 4...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Clare,

Parts of your account don't fit in with any of the Hardtack raids - your account mentions canoes but as far as I know it was Dories that were used for the Hardtacks; your man says they were RN Commandos - Hardtacks were all conducted by Army Commandos, and a smattering of SBS ( an Army Unit is those days)...

The use of canoes could point to it being a COPP (Combined Operations Pilotage Parties) mission - that would also explain RN Commandos...
We'll have to do a bit of homework on this one...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2019 16:30:06

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Clare Hunt
Forum Member

I agree - it sounds like a mix of both. The memoir says that one of the aims was to take a prisoner, which they did (he went back to England handcuffed to a berth). Reading further, no. 28 sounds like it has more of the elements described. The memory of the medal may be incorrect because he wouldn't have known about that until afterwards anyway and may have got mixed up
Clare Hunt
Forum Member

Would you like me to send the full account to you?
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Clare

The use of canoes could point to it being a COPP (Combined Operations Pilotage Parties) mission - that would also explain RN Commandos.. But they wouldn't normally be sent out to take prisoners - not in a canoe...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Clare,

yes please - both Pete and I can take a look...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger