commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Repatriation of Soldiers Killed in Action  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

The bodies of the two lads from 3 Commando Bde killed recently in Afghanistan have now been repatriated. Below is a very positive message regarding the repatration from Blondie Boorn (formerly 42 Cdo) followed by details of Cpl Elm's funeral.

On Wednesday, 7th January 2009 the repatriation took place of Sgt Chris Reed of the 6th Rifles and Cpl Liam Elms of the Royal Marines. After landing at 12noon at RAF Lyneham Sgt Reed and Cpl Elms were reunited with their families in the Chapel of Rest with the Cortege leaving the RAF Station at about 2.30 pm. The family of Cpl Elms had just previously gone a head to Wootton Basset to be present at the War Memorial for the two minutes silence. At Wootton Basset, the usual large crowds of locals were present to pay their respects, together with a large number of former servicemen and women who were wearing their service caps or berets etc. Serving servicemen and women were also present. Eighteen Royal Marine Association members, with three standards paraded representing the Branches from Bath and Bristol greeted the Cortege with a General salute and lowered the Standards. The Cortege then continued on the journey to John Radcliffe Hospital at Oxford. Outside the Police Station at the start of the A420 there was a large gathering, comprising of 30 Royal Marine Association members, with three standards representing the Branches from Basingstoke, Swindon, and Deal. The Commando Association Standard, a British Legion Standard and the Royal Naval Association Standard , also from the Isle of Thanet, were there as well.
Major General Penneyfather RM and Major General Chester RM were with the RMA ranks.
It was estimated that approximately 50 serving police officers and civilian staff were lining the route and, so I am told, for the first time the Swindon Fire Brigade attended.
Further up the A420 at the roundabout leading to the UK Defence Academy the Poole Branch of the RMA lined the route with15 members, supported by a former a serviceman (Royal Signals) and his wife. Major Nobby Hall serving with the Rifles joined us from the Defence Academy.
I was at this location and once again the response from people driving along the A420 was very heartening and supportive. All reports I have received indicate this was common all along the route.
After leaving us and before reaching the hospital, I have been told that there were several other groups at various places along the roadside. Unfortunately I have no contacts for these groups and can?t report further.
At the John Radcliffe Hospital my contact tells me that it was the biggest turn out to date consisting of 50 plus, with a large contingent of ?Red Berets?. I was told the number of Standards present, but I have lost the bit of paper I wrote it on, so I apologize to one and all.
With the short days and the very cold and dismal weather on that day, it was a fantastic turnout and the dress of the day for the RMA was berets, blazers and medals for the actual passing of the Cortege. Top coats were discreetly hidden from view but quickly retrieved afterwards. A thin covering of snow was in the adjoining fields, but as on the last occasion the soup in the pub was hot and plentiful. Much appreciated.
At the various points where the route was lined by people wishing to pay their respects, the Cortege would reduce speed to a brisk walking pace whilst the salute was given.

Don?t forget to push this information outwards, and onwards, to anybody who you think will help to support our campaign for recognition for our ?Fallen Heroes?.
Regards,

Derek ?Blondie? Boorn
42 Commando
Royal Marines 1956 -1958.

A message received today via Jo Vose:

Just a reminder that the actual funeral of Cpl Liam Elms is being held at St.Joseph's Church, Crow Orchard Road, Wrightington, Nr. Wigan. WN6 9PA. at 11.00 hrs on Wednesday the 14th of January. All RMA members are cordially invited to attend. So please pass on this information to anybody you know in the Manchester/Liverpool/St.Helens/ Blackpool areas etc. Let's have a big turnout! Key that postcode in to your sat-navs and get there.. It's just off Junction 27 of the M6......... Jo Vose

If anyone is able to attend on behalf of the CVA it would be very much appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/01/2009 17:40:41

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
stevep
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have just heard that the latest repatriation, will be taking place at RAF Lyneham on Tuesday 20th, with the plane arriving around noon.

As yet I do not know how many of the lads are being repatriated

I work at RAF Lyneham, so I will be attending and going onto Wootton Bassett for the two minutes silence.

As Derek, has written, the local people, always turn out in force to show their respects.

Hope to see other CVA members there

Steve Pattison

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger