commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Ajax  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Mh110
Forum Member

Here's a strange one from my Dad regarding marine Hutchinson when he was on the Ajax he was part of the gun crew in X turret at the battle of the river plate .But he said " if you didn't lock the buggers in the turret they'd try to escape" which means some of the marines would be outside the turret during the battle .Could this possible be right any thoughts cheers

Mark
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I imagine this was typical service banter. The Royal Marines have a long tradition of serving on ships. More on the history is documented here :

https://royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/sites/default/files/Marines%20Aboard%20Ship.pdf

I understand Marine Hutchinson [view record] was a cousin of your Father. Do your family have a photo of him ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Mh110
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply and link .I have photos sadly am in the process of moving home .So as you can imagine things
are a bit mess up .I will post in due course and get them on the site to generate interest .
On a separate note the battle of the river plate was the reason why my dad was late for school .He had been listening to it on the radio duing the night
Cheers for now

Mark
aim icon
Mh110
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

I've attached a photo of James the smaller photo is him when I assume he passed out as marine .
The plaque I got made up by the Veterans Woodcraft of Richmond N York's
[Thumb - WIN_20181127_21_04_13_Pro.jpg]
 Filename WIN_20181127_21_04_13_Pro.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Part of a group photo James Hutchinson aged about19
 Filesize 366 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  294 time(s)

aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I just want to confirm is this Marine James Hutchinson ?
[Thumb - 263B7341-73C7-42C5-9D1E-982CD2793D05.jpeg]
 Filename 263B7341-73C7-42C5-9D1E-982CD2793D05.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  293 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Mh110
Forum Member

Hi Pete

This definitely marine Hutchinson

Cheers for now

Mark
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Mark. I have added the image to our online Roll of Honour entry which can be viewed below. I would normally add a surname to the image credit so if you wish this please just let me know your surname.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/JamesHutchinson40RMCommando

Finally once all the home moving is over, if you find a higher resolution image of Marine Hutchinson we would be grateful for a copy.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger