commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photographs  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
jennywren
Forum Member

My mother has recently passed away, my father was Hayden V. Morgan 46 Commando (passed away 23.06.2002) I have only recently found this site and I have so many questions to ask, but will take it slowly 1 question at a time. While clearing out my parents house I have come across lots of photographs taken at reunions in France, Spean Bridge plus more, I was wondering if they would be of any interest to the group, they are not professional photographs but are of good quality and are a record of said reunions (some with No 9 Commando.)

Jennifer
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums and thank you for contacting us. I'm so sorry to hear of you recent bereavement - I know this must be a difficult time for you especially the sorting out of family artifacts and the memories they hold.
Fire away with any questions you may have - we will try and answer as many as we can or, failing that, hopefully steer you in the direction of those who can...

We would welcome any photos - especially those taken by your father and/or his friends and colleagues as the less formal, relaxed photos tell a far better story than some of the stiff formal, professionally photographed groups (although we always welcome them as well).

If you can scan the photos and send them electronically (email, DropBox etc.) that would be great, if that isn't possible, you could send them by mail and I can scan and return them.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
jennywren
Forum Member

I have tried to send photographs but I am not having much luck, I keep getting an error code "entity too large". Even though I am only sending 1 photo at a time. I am not sure where to go from here.

Regards
Jennifer

Jennifer
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jenny,

You could resize your photos but an easier option may be to email the photos to me and I will post them in this thread...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
jennywren
Forum Member

I will have a chat with my husband regarding resizing the very old ones (I'm not very good with techy things) other than that I will post them to you, especially the reunion photographs as I have many duplicates, so you can use them as you wish and I do not need them returned to me. Where do I send them? I will get them off to you next week as we go away on 9th to see our son in Singapore for several weeks.

Jenny

Jennifer
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jenny,

I have sent you a Private Message

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jenny,

Here are your first two photos.
The large group I think is when they were on basic RM training.

The smaller group, I believe was when they'd finished training to be Royal Marines and were probably in 9th Battalion RM - they were not commandos at this stage...
9th Battalion RM were converted to become 46 RM Commando.

Nick
[Thumb - RM Training.jpg]
 Filename RM Training.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Hayden Morgan - centre row (standing), 1st left.
 Filesize 184 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  316 time(s)

[Thumb - RM Section.JPG]
 Filename RM Section.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Hayden Morgan - back row, 2nd left
 Filesize 208 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  314 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/02/2019 15:10:51

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jenny,
so the second pair of photos.
The larger group is when your father was in 46 RM Commando - the size of this group (61) would suggest this is a Troop within the Commando.

An RM Commando Unit was organised along War Establishment lines, conforming to those Commandos already raised by the Army.
This consisted of Cdo HQ, Signal Section, Admin Section, five fighting troops [A, B, X, Y and Z] - named after the big gun turrets on capital ships - plus a Heavy Weapons Troop [S Troop].
The nominal strength of a fighting troop was three officers and sixty five other ranks.
Each troop contained two sections, each further divided into two sub-sections.
The Heavy Weapons Troop had two officers and forty other ranks, armed with two Vickers machine-guns and two 3-inch mortars.

Nick
[Thumb - 46 RM Cdo troop.jpg]
 Filename 46 RM Cdo troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 2nd row, 2nd from left: Hayden Morgan
 Filesize 194 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  299 time(s)

[Thumb - Veterans Reunion.jpg]
 Filename Veterans Reunion.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Front row, 1st left: George Kimber; 2nd left, Hayden Morgan.
 Filesize 166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  308 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 03/02/2019 15:06:02

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jennifer

Can I add my own condolences to those of Nick on hearing of the sad news about your Mother's recent passing.

As Nick says the two photos where they are wearing forage caps are before they were Commandos. The group photo of them in uniform wearing berets is of those who passed out as Commandos. It is actually a photo of 'X Troop of 46RM Commando and we already have a good copy of this photo with many names included in our 46 RM Commando gallery. The link below takes you to it. One or two names are missing. Is your Father in this photo ?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/46RM+Cdo+X+troop+copy.jpg.html

Your Father is also listed in our 46RM Cdo. Nominal Roll and Obituaries - PLY/X 111432 Mne. H.V. Morgan.

You may wish to browse our 46RM Commando gallery as there are many photos with individuals yet to be identified. It can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/46RM+Cdo+X+troop+copy.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Additionally your Father is on the Casualty list of those who were wounded at Troarn on the 17th August 1944 when clearing booby traps that had been laid by the enemy.

[Thumb - 46RM Cdo 17 Aug casualty account.PNG]
 Filename 46RM Cdo 17 Aug casualty account.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 268 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  288 time(s)

[Thumb - 46RM Cdo casualties at Troarn.PNG]
 Filename 46RM Cdo casualties at Troarn.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 339 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  308 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/02/2019 10:45:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jennywren
Forum Member

Thank you so much for the information you were able to give me on the photographs, I have the original telegrams sent when Dad had his "bump" (he always called it that) and lots more which I will forward to you if you are interested. More photos will follow

Jenny

Jennifer
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cpl George Kimber, listed as one of the wounded at Troarn on the 17th August 1944 is shown next to Hayden Morgan on the Veterans Reunion photo.
Jenny tells us that both George & Hayden lost a leg on the same day...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Jeff H
Forum Member

Jenny
Please don't forget to give me a call.
I'm the UK lead contact for 46 RMC Famiky and Friends Group.
We both have so much information we need to share with each other.
My number is 01869 356082
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger