commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Help with filling in the missing dates please  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
mike winter
Forum Member

My father was Walter Frank Winter, known to everyone as Frank. He was born Bristol England 1918. His service no is 1540880 and he enlisted 13/1/1940 in Taunton and was in the R.A, stationed at Cambourne, Ringwood, Weymouth.12/11/41 attached to 349hya Bty RA for rations only 6/11/41-8/11/41 for rations only.

The next date is 29/4/44 transferred to ITC11 Pinefield Camp Elgin att to Seaforths. 17/5/44 perm att to Black Watch. 5/7/44 transferred to Lovat Scouts. Embarked with Lovat Scouts 16/7/44, disembarked 29/7/44. 29 Sept 44 admitted to 31 general hospital to x2, discharged back to Lovat Scouts 21/3/44, demobbed 17/3/1946.

His service/pay book says previous destroyed.

I know he was involved in the landings in Sicily and Italy, was in Milan, Cassino, Rome,(before Gen Clarke got there, Allied personel were assisting/advising the resistance). Then Greece, Switzerland, Austria

Thanks Mike Winter
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums.

Am I right in thinking that the information you have comes from his Pay Book - and that you don't have his Service Records?
If this is the case, are you aware that you can apply to the MoD - the only custodian of WWII service records - for his records?
These will probably fill in some of the gaps for you, although I'm not sure what is meant by 'previous destroyed...' - unless it refers to his previous pay book.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
mike winter
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

All those date are taken from his service records. There is nothing from 8/11/41 to 29/4/44. I assumed his previous pay book was destroyed between these dates probably when in Sicily.
29/7/44 was disembarkation in Naples. I have photos taken whilst in RA and Lovat Scouts but nothing from Sicily, I am trying to find out what unit he was in then, I know he was a commando

Regards Mike.
mike winter
Forum Member

Hello Nick,

I have attached two photos, I don't know where they are from. One looks like a camp and it looks like they may have just returned from overseas. the second they are wearing their caps. Is it possible to tell from this their unit?.

Regards Mike.
[Thumb - Walter frank Winter 2nd right standing.jpg]
 Filename Walter frank Winter 2nd right standing.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  340 time(s)

[Thumb - Walter Frank Winter seated bottom row 2nd right.jpg]
 Filename Walter Frank Winter seated bottom row 2nd right.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 304 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  320 time(s)

mike winter
Forum Member

Hello Nick,

Have you had any joy regarding the cap badges.

Regards Mike
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike,

Yes the cap badges are almost certainly those of the Royal Artillery.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
mike winter
Forum Member

Hello Nick

Thanks for your reply. These must have been taken before he became a commando. He did say he had photos that had been lost, he probably meant when his pay book was destroyed.

Is there anywhere else I can look up these dates?, it wouldn't think it would be any good going back to historical disclosures.

Thanks again Mike.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mike,

Are the service records you received from MoD typed or a scan of handwritten sheets?
If they are the handwritten pages then you should have everything the MoD hold...

If you have the handwritten sheets then post them into this thread and I can take a quick look to see if I can spot anything you may have overlooked?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/01/2019 21:40:58

Nick Collins,

[Email]
mike winter
Forum Member

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I know he did his commando training near Fort William and I believe his pay was increased by 2 shillings.

The documents are scanned copies of handwritten sheets but the system won't allow them through.

Regards Mike

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger