commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Jack Abrams  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Andrew Shepley
Forum Member

I understand that my grandfather served during WW2 and was captured and escaped twice in Italy. He was mentioned in dispatched twice and recieved the BEM. I understand his nick name was the red fox (he was a proud Yorkshireman from the Scarborough area) probably due to his red hair and moustache . He finished his time at deal barracks as CQMS around 1965.
Any information would be much appreciated.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andrew,
Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums.

You don't mention which Service your grandfather was in - there were commandos in the Army, RN, RM and RAF - however, seeing as he was posted to Deal, I'm guessing he was a Royal Marine?
Do you have any other details - service number etc?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

PO/X 4734 Sergeant (later A.Q.M.S.) John Arthur ABRAM
27th September 1922 Scarborough, Yorkshire - 1984 Maidstone, Kent
in 1939 he was residing at 11 Deneside Terrace, Bradford, Yorkshire, with his father, mother and his older brother Frank.

He had a poem published in the Shipley Times 30th August 1944 which states he was a Royal Marine Commando.

He was 'Mentioned in Despatches' for distinguished services in the Mediterranean 1st January - 31st March 1945 (It should help narrow down which R.M. Commando?) This was which was reported in the 'Globe and Laurel' January 1946

The award of his British Empire Medal was announced in the London Gazette 2nd January 1950.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/38797/supplement/25/data.pdf

[Thumb - ABRAM poem.png]
 Filename ABRAM poem.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  282 time(s)

[Thumb - ABRAM B.E.M..png]
 Filename ABRAM B.E.M..png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  269 time(s)

[Thumb - ABRAM Globe & Laurel.png]
 Filename ABRAM Globe & Laurel.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  288 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/12/2018 19:05:46

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I believe he served in No. 43 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines. There is a Sgt. Abrams mentioned a couple of times in the book Commando Subaltern at War, written by W.G. Jenkins DSO., of 43 RM Cdo. Also the London Gazettes entry has Captain Bob Loudoun and Capt. Roberts in there as well both mentioned in the book. Another in the LG entry is Sgt Charles William (Bill) Ash who also served in 43 RM Cdo. (https://theroyalmarinescharity.org.uk/library/static/media/globe-laurel-jul-aug-2007.pdf)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/12/2018 22:20:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger