commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Any ideas on where this might be (India ? )and who ?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The photo, possibly in India, on the link below was in the collection of Edward John Casselden who served in 44RM Commando. It is annotated "Commando wing March 1945." as you can see there is a chap in a Pith helmet in the centre. I have some thoughts on who this might be but would like to see if anyone can give more detailed information.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/CommandoWingMarch1945.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The wording 'Commando Wing' is interesting and would lead me to think it may be the 3 Cdo Brigade Sub Section GHQ 2nd Echelon, Jhansi whose Telegragh address was SECECHELON CDOWING.

With the exception of the person in the pith helmet, the front row consists of a Warrant Officer, to the left of the pith helmet, several NCOs and the rear row all seem to be Marines.
The pith helmet gent - who seems to be wearing two pips ( Lieutenant) or a pip and a crown (Lt Colonel) - appears to be considerably older than the others and wearing four medal ribbons - which would point to him being a Lt Col rather than a Lt.

The pith helmet, medals and India might suggest Orde Wingate but he was a full Colonel when he arrived in the Far East in 1942, he died, an Acting Major General, in March 1944 - and the pith helmet that he favoured was a different design to that in the photo.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick

My immediate thought was that the older chap in the pith helmet looked like Admiral Sir Walter (Titch) Cowan who as you know was with Commando training and later 2 Commando Bde. during the war. I have read that at the end of the war he went to India with an Honorary Colonel rank in the 18th King Edward VII's Own Cavalry. Hiwever I am not good on comparisons so welcome yours and others views.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/12/2018 16:20:50

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good shout Pete,

Yes it certainly looks like him.
I was on night shift when I made my reply and was trying to think of Admiral Cowan's name...

But, my only reservation, is the amount of medal ribbons displayed.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Additionally Nick, on the service record, and backing up your thoughts, the writing is very faded and has been partially overwritten, but in faint the last original entries one below the other are as follows:

To 2nd Echelon 3 SS Bde. (date illegible).
To 2nd Echelon 3 Cdo Bde (date illegible).

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Pete,

Good to see that my theory about the Commando Wing at the 2nd Echelon, GHQ, Jhansi was probably right.
Spent a few long hours studying the 'Pith Helmet' and photos of Admiral Cowan last night and have reached the conclusion that it isn't 'Titch' Cowan in the pith helmet.

Hopefully we'll get some leads on the photo...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger