commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Definition of role  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Maes
Forum Member

My father was the Administration Officer of No2 Commando. Is anyone able to explain what were the duties of that role.

Many thanks
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Admin officer I would assume would be a modern day clerk heading up the pay and records. Publishing DROs (daily routine orders) as set by the commanding officer.
Would probably had a team under his command and also arranged other functions for the unit.

Hope this helps.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Maes,

Welcome to the CVA Website and Forum.

What was your father's rank & name?
As Admin Officer he would have been in the HQ Troop, but it is likely that he was only in that role for a period of time and then would have swapped roles with another of the same rank.
All members of a Commando Unit were expected to be fighting commandos first and foremost, any other 'appointments' were secondary to their primary role - commando!

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Maes
Forum Member

Craig

Many thanks for your thoughts. I have able to identify the role of the Admin Officer as being responsible stores and all unit accounts.
Maes
Forum Member

Nick

Many thanks for your observations. My father was Capt Robert (Bob) John Bavister. According to my father's confidential report signed by Lt Col FW Fynn, he served in the role of "Admin Officer" from 1 July 1944 to 1 November 1945.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Maes,

To further confirm that he did not spend all his time as a 'pen pusher,' as you know he was Mentioned in Dispatches in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Mediterranean Theatre.
We also have him in a photo, dated Jan 43, which records him serving in 4 Troop and the Heavy Weapons troop as a Lieutenant.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/RobertBavister2Commando

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

See here:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34723/supplement/7404

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37575/supplement/2443

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger