commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Albert Raymond Wogel No 1 Commando WWII  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
pwogel
Forum Member

Trying to find out as much information about my father Albert Raymond Wogel.
He passed away when I was 6 weeks old 26th Dec 1952 - not sure if he was a POW - was found in Algeria wearing GI uniform, he may have been suffering with Post-traumatic stress disorder - Army number 4192949

Thanks
Paul Wogel
 Filename Albert Wogel2.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 550 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  518 time(s)

Filename Albert Wogel.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 665 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  496 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/12/2018 19:34:53

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the CVA Website & Forums. I apologise for not replying to your post sooner but I hope that we can help you with your quest.
My first advice would be for you to apply to the MoD for a scan of your father's original handwritten service records. I have seen the documents you have uploaded in your post and these are a brief synopsis of his record and don't have the depth of information his actual records will show.

The MoD are the sole custodians of these records - don't be fooled by any false claims by any online genealogy sites such as Forces War Records or Ancestry etc.

The MoD charge a one off fee of £30 - unless your mother is still with us and signs the consent form, in which case the fee is waived...
You will need to complete the two forms attached (see links)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711147/20180524-request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.2.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

You will also need a copy of your father's death certificate - if you don't have this you can get a copy of it - also from the Gov-UK website

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Once you have a copy of the service records you will be on the road to finding out a lot more about your father...

I note that you have seen the photos in our Gallery, in which your father appears, if you have any other photos of him that you are prepared to share with us, I'd be homoured to upload them to the appropriate album in the Gallery.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
pwogel
Forum Member

Many Thanks Nick,

I need to find out as much about my father during his war years, he was found in Algeria wounded do not now were, in full American GI uniform.
Have his Service ( Hand Written )
But gives no details of his actions. or his injuries sustained - was in hospital for sometime - as a note his Father ( My Grandfather) was awarded the Croix De Gare in 1917 during WW I - He was in the French Army Thanks Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,

Do his service records tell you which hospital(s) he was in?
There should be something like 87 GBH/ 51 BGH or EMS or anything along those lines?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
pwogel
Forum Member

Hi
Further info ref my Father Albert Raymond Wogel No 1 Commando

It very much looks like my father was in No.1 Commando during the Operation Torch (North African) Landings. I believe that they attacked Cap Ferruch and then moved through Algiers. They were under command of Lt-Col. K.R.S. Trevor and for this operation they had attached to them four Troops (each of 60 men) from the US 168th Rifle Regiment of the 34th Division of the Iowa National Guard.

I have read that in the January/ February period of 1943 they were engaged in a bitter and bloody combat with German forces near Bizerte during which many were killed, wounded or captured. This may explain why he was evacuated back to UK.

An interestingly father's time in the Independent Companies in 1940. They were the forerunners of the Commandos and operated successfully in guerilla warfare in Norway ( Operation Deepcut) only being left almost in complete isolation and running extremely low on supplies and ammunition as the counter invasion of Norway faltered and faded.

Now have my fathers SERVICE AND CASUALTY FORM.
They do not mention his injuries (PTSD)
Will try and down load the form to the forum - having problems downloading it to the site at the moment
pwogel
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

He was admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital 7th Aug 1943.
Discharged 25th Aug 1943
Posted Holding 23rd Nov 1943
Entitled to wear Africa Star with 1st Army 3rd Feb 1944

Admitted E.M.S Hospital Wrexham 20th June 1944 ( What is E.M.S )
Discharged 21st June 1944

Recived Injuries Of moderate severity on 15th Aug 1944

Discharge confirmed 1st Oct 1944 - Struck Off Strength
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

EMS
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Hospital_Service

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,

I have received your email and a quick glance at the service records tells me that on 1st January 1943 he was admitted to 18 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) and was diagnosed as suffering Otitis Media Suppurative [Chronic suppurative otitis media].

A Casualty Clearing Station is a military medical facility behind the front lines used to treat wounded soldiers.
A CCS would usually be located just beyond the range of enemy artillery and often near transportation facilities (e.g., a railway). The CCS receives battlefield casualties from Regimental First Aid Posts located in the combat zone.
Casualties that cannot be adequately treated in the CCS are stabilized there before being transported to a Field Hospital or Military Hospital.

On 2nd January '43 he was transferred to 8 CCS and posted to the X(ii) List.

THE X (ii) LIST comprises all ranks evacuated on medical grounds beyond Regimental First Aid Post.
Personnel so evacuated cease to be on the effective strength of their units. Temporary or acting rank will be relinquished 28 days after being so transferred to X (ii) list.
Personnel remain in X (ii) list until they are classified as fit for posting when they are transferred to the X (iv) list of their Corps and marched out to the appropriate training depot, or until discharged by a medical unit
direct to their original units.

On 6th January '43 he was transferred to 95 General Hospital.
95 British General Hospital was located at Beni Aknoun (Africa) from December 1942 until September 1944

On 18 February '43 he was evacuated to the UK and SOS (Struck Off Strength) of his unit.
On 7th August '43 he was admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital Netley - an enormous military hospital in Netley, near Southampton. He was discharged from here 25th August '43.

As you know, he was posted to the Holding Operational Commando (HOC) at Wrexham - The HOC had a few functions
1. To toughen up new recruits for the Commandos prior to them being sent to the CBTC ( Commando Basic Training Centre) Achnacarry, Scotland.
2. To hold newly qualified commandos awaiting postings to their new Commando Units - they would continue to hone their newly acquired skills and learn new skills whilst here...
3. As a Rehabilitation Centre for injured commandos to recover and recuperate from injuries and become fit enough to be posted back to a Commando Unit

Whilst at HOC, he was admitted to EMS Hospital Wrexham on two occasions - I believe the EMS Hospital was located at Iscoyd Park a large Georgian Manor house, which, in 1942 was requisitioned for use as a 1,500-bed hospital for the US Army but also for the treatment of other Allied casualties.

His first visit to EMS Wrexham was just for one day 20 June '44 - 21 June '44...
However on 15th August 44, he "received injuries of moderate severity" and was admitted until 26 August '44. These injuries must have resulted in his subsquent discharge on 1st October '44.

These injuries must have been the result of an accident or similar, whilst at HOC. I had hoped that there may be something in the HOC War Diaries which may throw light on the incident but there is nothing other than on 19 August the CO addressed all personnel and reminded them of "the necessity for good discipline outside the Barracks as well as inside. This was necessary as there was a tendency, on part of a few, to forget the rules."

I have no idea whether this related to any specific incident or, if it did, whether it involved your father...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/12/2018 01:40:11

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

pwogel wrote:.... in full American GI uniform.

For Operation Torch British troops were issued with GI uniforms as Churchill believed that the Vichy French would be more welcoming to US than British soldiers.

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger