commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
"The Lost Commando Raid" BBC1 14th December 19:30  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Some readers may be aware that I have been researching the 'Operation Abercrombie' Hardelot raid by 4 Commando and a section of attached Canadians for a number of years. My particular connection to the raid is not through family, in fact I have no commando relatives, but because I am a member of a group of volunteers who look after an old Napoleonic fort in Dover and discovered way back in 2011 half a dozen sets of graffiti that I traced back to the raid.

The CVA was of great help in putting me in contact with relatives and even two men who served on the raid, though sadly neither are still with us. (I have to mention Nick here - cheers Nick!). I spent the next couple of years researching war diaries, operational reports, taking trips to the IWM and even trawling through community Facebook pages in Canada to try and track down relatives of the graffiti artists. This culminated in a book I wrote called 'Dover's Forgotten Commando Raid' to raise money for our Society just over two years ago.

In the middle of summer of this year I was amazed to suddenly receive an email from a BBC producer to state that he had proposed turning the book into a documentary! The programme was green-lit and at the end of July the BBC came to Dover for several days filming. This included in some of the old tunnels, interviewing at home, at the library and elsewhere. About a dozen families were tracked down and an amazing day was then held at the fort in which everyone was gathered to be interviewed about their fathers, grandfathers and uncles and all were given a very special presentation.

'The Lost Commando Raid' telling the story of 'Operation Abercrombie' will be televised on BBC1 South East at 7.30 on Friday 14th December, and then available to watch on BBC iPlayer for a month. It will also be available on Sky Channel 963 and Freesat 959.

I hope you enjoy it.

[Thumb - Poster.jpg]
 Filename Poster.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  483 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/12/2018 23:30:25

[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well done Phil.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent news, Phil.
Looking forward to seeing this.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just a quick reminder thst this is on tomorrow night on BBC1 at 19.30 in the South East region. If you live elsewhere you will be able to catch it on iPlayer, Sky 963 and Freesat 959. I hope you enjoy it and find it interesting.
[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Having enjoyed your book Phil, I watched this this afternoon and can heartily recommend it to everyone. Well done to all involved
Regards
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Phil for a wonderful programme.

Thanks also for keeping the No 4 Commando name alive and the men who served and died for our freedom.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great documentary Phil.
Good to see historian and author James Owen was involved too.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Congratulations Phil

Great piece of work and a good programme.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger