commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
75th Commemorations Flushing 2019  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Our dear friend Jochem has given approximante dates for Flushing next year.

He wrote "The date for the main remembrance will be on the 26th of October 2019 and will carry on to the 3th of November. When I have more details I Will let you all know."

I will update when he contacts me.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

""75th FLUSHING COMMEMORATIONS 2019 No 4 Commando French, Luxembourg and British, 4th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 5th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 7th / 9th Battalions Royal Scots, Royal Engineers Keep Force, Mountain Artillery, Manchester Regiment, LCAs. The only confirmed date I have is 26th October 2019 the commemoration in Flushing at Uncle Beach. It would be great if we could get numbers of who intend to come and can they Personal Message with email or email me [email protected] with names of those in your party. Dominique Kieffer is going to contact the French relatives to check who is coming and will let me know their list."

Bill Harvey

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/02/2019 14:31:06

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Planning update
Thursday 24th October Travel Netherlands.
Friday 25th October Visit Bergen op Zoom and Kapelle Cemetaries. (Trying to get Bus)
Saturday 26th October Commemorations Uncle Beach Vlissingen followed by Evening Meal.
Sunday 27th October Visit Breskins on foot ferry. (It follows route of landings).
Monday 28th October Visit to Roosendaal KCT Museum.

Tuesday 29th October Travel home.

The Liberation of Walcheren: The liberation of the Dutch island of Walcheren in November 1944, and the opening of the river Schelde, was the most significant event in the war in North-west Europe. Today it is largely forgotten, outside Walcheren itself, and a dwindling band of veterans and relatives who go when they can. Without the liberation, however, the Western Allies campaign in Europe would have faltered, and might have died. Walcheren mattered because its German coastal batteries and the minefields blocked maritime access to Antwerp which was 70 miles from open sea.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/03/2019 15:06:39

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Latest update with help of Jochem

75th FLUSHING COMMEMORATIONS 2019 No 4 Commando French, Luxembourg and British, 4th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 5th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 7th / 9th Battalions Royal Scots, Royal Engineers Keep Force, Mountain Artillery, Manchester Regiment, LCAs, members of 10 IA Commando No 2 Dutch Troop also landed.
It would be great if we could get numbers of who intend to come and can they Personal Message with email or email me [email protected] with names of those in your party. Dominique Kieffer is going to contact the French relatives to check who is coming and will let me know their list.
Friday 25th October Visit Bergen op Zoom and Kapelle Cemeteries. Wreaths will be laid at both cemeteries and crosses put on graves of fallen. If any of the other groups want to lay a wreath please come along. (Trying to get Bus) Followed by meal in the evening.
Saturday 26th October Jochem heard from town council that there is a ceremony in the morning in St Jacobs church, then a Commemoration on Uncle Beach, after that reenactment. In the evening a concert in St. Jacobs church.
Sunday 27th October Visit Breskins on foot ferry. All the groups are welcome to come along. (It follows route of landings so you can get pictures on the way back).
Monday 28th October Visit to Roosendaal Korps Commandotroepen Museum (Great model of Uncle Beach here)
Tuesday 29th October Travel home.
The Liberation of Walcheren: The liberation of the Dutch island of Walcheren in November 1944, and the opening of the river Schelde, was the most significant event in the war in North-west Europe. Today it is largely forgotten, outside Walcheren itself, and a dwindling band of veterans and relatives who go when they can. Without the liberation, however, the Western Allies campaign in Europe would have faltered, and might have died. Walcheren mattered because its German coastal batteries and the minefields blocked maritime access to Antwerp which was 70 miles from open sea.
From Southampton No4 moved to Den Hann in Belgium to start training for the landings in Flushing. This was one of the most important battles in the war, yet forgotten, as the Allies were running out of supplies and could not get supplies up the Scheldt to Antwerp because of the German guns on Walcheren. The British and French Commandos were joined by a troop of Dutch Commandos. They moved to Breskins and across the Scheldt to Flushing on the 1 November 1944. Another successful raid.
They stayed in Holland doing small raids and coastal defense. They were relieved and moved back to Middelburg and on 30 March 1945 moved to Bergen-op-Zoom (some of No4 are buried in Bergen-op-Zoom).
Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

10 IA Commando No 2 Dutch Troop landed Flushing 1/11/1944

Baggerman Karel Johannes Sgt (was Cpl then)
Bothe Jaap Cpl
De Liefde W 'Bill' Sgt (was Cpl then)
De Ruiter Cornelis (Cees) Lt
Kruit K Sgt
Persoon Leo Sgt (was Cpl then)
Van De Gender Cornelius Ardianus CSM (was Cpl then)
Van Der Steen H Cpl
Van Der Wal Dirk TSM (was Sgt then)
Van Gelderen Wilhelmus Gerardus Capt (was Sgt then)
Van Woerden Jan C Sgt (was Cpl then)

The eleven Dutch Commandos that took part in the landings on 1 November 1944 at Flushing, codename "Infatuate I", were Lieutenant C. de Ruiter, Sgt. W. van Genderen, Sgt. D. van der Wal, Sgt. K. Kruit, Cpl. J. van Woerden, Cpl. W. de Liefde, Cpl. J. Bothe, Cpl. L. Persoon, Cpl. H. van der Steen, Cpl. K. Baggerman and Cpl. C. van de Gender. Despite strong resistance the Commandos were able to make a succesful landing, in which Cpl. De Liefde took point to mark the landing area with a signal lamp. The Dutch Commandos got caught in heavy street fights for the next two days, but with only two wounded and the assistance of other Commando units, were able to liberate Flushing on 2 November.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Friends

We are having to cancel the trip to Roosendaal because we are having to fly home on the 28th October the trip now looks as follows.

75th FLUSHING COMMEMORATIONS 2019 No 4 Commando French, Luxembourg and British, 4th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 5th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 7th / 9th Battalions Royal Scots, Royal Engineers Keep Force, 452 Battery 1st Mountain Artillery, Manchester Regiment, LCAs, members of 10 IA Commando No 2 Dutch Troop also landed.

It would be great if we could get numbers of who intend to come and can they Personal Message with email or email me [email protected] with names of those in your party. Dominique Kieffer is going to contact the French relatives to check who is coming and will let me know their list.

Friday 25th October Visit Bergen op Zoom Cemetery in the morning to have short service laying of wreaths and putting crosses on graves, in the afternoon we will visit Kapelle Museum and then Kapelle Cemetery to have a short service laying a wreath and put crosses on the graves . It is hope all the groups will take part and lay their own wreaths. If any of the other groups want to lay a wreath please come along. (Trying to get Bus) Followed by meal in the evening.

Saturday 26th October Jochem heard from town council that there is a ceremony in the morning in St Jacobs church, then a Commemoration on Uncle Beach, after that reenactment. In the evening a concert in St. Jacobs church.

Sunday 27th October Visit Breskins on foot ferry. All the groups are welcome to come along. (It follows route of landings so you can get pictures on the way back).

Monday 28th October Travel home.

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

https://www.vlissingen.nl/inwoner/nieuws/nieuwsbericht/archief/2019/04/artikel/plannen-bekend-voor-75-jarige-herdenking-slag-om-de-schelde-4432.html

You will see the 75th Flag which Vlissingen / Flushing have produced.

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jochem suggested the following "I have not heared from the others where they stay. But mostley de fam. Kieffer stay's in hotel de Ruyter, Vlissingen. And some stay in hotel Piccard Vlissingen. Or you can try hotel Truida on the boulevard, Vlissingen."

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Latest update
75th FLUSHING COMMEMORATIONS 2019 No 4 Commando French, Luxembourg and British, 4th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 5th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 7th / 9th Battalions Royal Scots, Royal Engineers Keep Force, 452 Battery 1st Mountain Artillery, Manchester Regiment, LCAs, members of 10 IA Commando No 2 Dutch Troop also landed.
Friday 25th October Leave Vlissingen, travelling in cars, 9.30am travelling to visit Bergen op Zoom Cemetery in the morning arriving about 10.30am to have short service laying of wreaths and putting crosses on graves, in the afternoon we will visit Kapelle Museum and then Kapelle Cemetery to have a short service laying a wreath and put crosses on the graves . It is hope all the groups will take part and lay their own wreaths. If any of the other groups want to lay a wreath please come along. Followed by meal in the evening which will be arranged later.

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Commemorations Program Flushing October 2019
Thursday 24th October: Travel Netherlands and arrive Vlissingen about 20.00 hours.
Friday 25th October:
09.30 hours: Leave Vlissingen, travelling in cars, travelling to visit Bergen op Zoom Cemetery.
10.30hours: I have prepared a short service laying of wreath and putting crosses on graves. Printed orders of service will be available.
In the afternoon we will visit Kapelle Museum.
Then Kapelle Cemetery to have a short service laying a wreath and put crosses on the graves. Printed orders of service will be available.
Evening Meal ? Jochem is looking for a venue and we will advise you about this.
Saturday 26th October:
10.30 hours - Sint Jacobskerk Oude Markt 2 will be open. Entrance is free. I have advised the Council of numbers in our party. (I would suggest we are there at this time.)
11.30 hours - Ceremony starts.
13.00 hours - Reception / lunch.
14.00 hours ? Short Ceremony Uncle Beach and a demonstration by commando troop of the Netherlands.
19.30 hours ? Sint Jacobskerk concert ? The Council have advised we will need a ticket for this and I have asked them where we get the tickets and is there a cost.
Sunday 27th October Visit Breskins on foot ferry. All the groups are welcome to come along. (It follows route of landings so you can get pictures on the way back). Will advise of time.

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We follow in the footsteps of the men of No 4 Commando who went to the cemeteries to remember comrades and those who fought alongside them. Like them we will lay wreaths at the cemeteries and the memorials where they laid their wreaths. We will remember them and the loyal Dutch. This is the final update. I will be on email till Tuesday night this week. You can then text me at +44 7831 143573.
Commemorations Program Flushing October 2019
Thursday 24th October: Travel Netherlands and arrive Vlissingen about 20.00 hours.
Friday 25th October:
08.30 hours: Jochem has managed to get a bus to travel to Bergen op Zoom, Kapelle Museum and Kapelle and back to Vlissingen. On 25th October it will leave from Hotel Piccard at 08.30 hours then pick up at Hotel De Ruyter - everybody be at one of those hotels for pick up. Some I know have cars but may like to travel by bus.
10.30hours: I have prepared a short service laying of wreath and putting crosses on graves. Printed orders of service will be available. Fred Davis secretary and standard bearer of the Commando Association will be there. The wreath will be laid by Roy Grant HQ Troop No 4 Commando. The cemetery can be reached from the motorway by taking the Bergen-op-Zoom exit, which leads on to Rooseveltlaan. At the first crossroads the cemeteries are signposted to the right. There is a further signposted right turn after 1 kilometre, and the cemeteries are 2 kilometres along this road on the left-hand side. War cemetery Bergen op zoom, Ruytershoveweg 1, 4622R.J. Bergen op zoom
In the afternoon we will visit Kapelle Museum.
Then to Kapelle Cemetery to have a short service laying a wreath and put crosses on the graves. Printed orders of service will be available. The wreath will be laid by Felix Karboas French No 4 Commando.
Evening Meal ?The meal on the 25th October it is in Hotel Piccard at 19.00 hours at cost of 23.50 Euro.
Saturday 26th October:
10.30 hours - Sint Jacobskerk Oude Markt 2 will be open. Entrance is free. I have advised the Council of numbers in our party. (I would suggest we are there at this time.)
11.30 hours - Ceremony starts.
13.00 hours - Reception / lunch.
14.00 hours ? We will walk to from the Kerk to Uncle Beach following the Flag Short Ceremony Uncle Beach and a demonstration by commando troop of the Netherlands. Wreath laying at Uncle Beach - Felix Karboas wreath at French memorial, Roy Grant at Commando memorial, Major Ian Gibb for KOSB and Rob Vaughan for LCA.
19.30 hours ? Sint Jacobskerk concert ? The Council have advised we will need a ticket which cost 10 Euro.
Sunday 27th October
Visit Breskins on foot ferry.The Westerschelde Ferry goes from Breskens in October on Sundays hourly from 8.18 hrs till 21.18 hrs and from Vlissingen it departs Hourly from 7.48 hrs till 20.48 hrs. Return tickets costs ?5,65 and for people over 65, ?3,85 return. The cruise time takes 23 minutes and the tickets you can purchase at the terminal of the ferry. I would suggest that we meet at 09.15 hours to get the 09.48 hours ferry. The ferry terminal is beside the Train Station.

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger