commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Medals  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Diane Grist
Forum Member

I hope I'm not repeating anything here but can anyone tell me how I can find out what medals, if any, my father received?
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Diane.

You would need your dads service record. I?m sure Nick or Pete have the links for claiming the records. I would imagine as your dad was in 45 commando he would possibly have the France and Germany star, 1939- 45 star ( depending on when he joined) and war medal/ defence medal. But you would need the full service records for this info.
If you apply for or find I?m happy to help with the abbreviations if needed.

Regards.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Diane

Nick has the following advice listed on here.
For those wishing to search for Service Records please follow the link to the MoD page below.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel
For those who are the immediate next of kin or who are applying with the immediate next of kin's consent, download and complete the Application Part 1 - Next of Kin consent form and the Application Part 2 form for the appropriate Service (Royal Navy/Royal Marines or Army).
a. Application Part 1 (next of kin form) must be completed in all cases.
2. For those who are not the immediate next of kin, and who are applying without the consent of the immediate next of kin, download and complete the Application Part 1 - General Enquirer's form and the Application Part 2 form for the appropriate Service (Royal Navy/Royal Marines or Army).
a. Application Part 1 (general enquirer's form) must be completed in all cases.
b. Application Part 2, Service specific (Royal Navy/Royal Marines or Army), must be completed to request the disclosure of information held on the personnel records of deceased members of the relevant Armed Forces
Completed forms should be sent to the following applicable address:
Army:
The Army Personnel Centre
MS Support Unit, P & D Branch
Historical Disclosures, MP 555
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
GLASGOW
G2 8EX
Royal Navy/Royal Marines:
RN Disclosure Cell,
Room 48,
West Battery,
Whale Island,
Portsmouth,
Hampshire,
PO2 8DX

What Commando was Dad iN?

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Diane,

Further to what Craig & Bill have posted, there is another form where you can apply straight to the Medal Office...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749392/MODMO_0001.pdf

You would need to complete Parts 1, 2a, 3 & 4

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Diane Grist
Forum Member

Thanks everyone. I'll try that route, thanks Nick.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger