commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Names on the No.9 Commando reunion images  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi All

We have some very good clear photos of some veterans of No. 9 Commando at original Commando Association events, but so few have been identified. I know there are No. 9 Commando relatives out there who were at Fort William. If you know any please advise them of this message. Here are the images:

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/veterans/

The easiest way to post a name is to register on the gallery (separate to the forum) and then you can add a comment against the relative photo.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2023 17:28:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
[email protected]
Forum Member

My father George Mc Pherson MM is in the April 59 pic stood on left above man serving pizza. He is in several others.I am currently researching his troop number
Ewan
Doug
Forum Member

Hi Pete

I took a look at the reunion pics but was unable to identify anyone. However, there is a photograph in the 9 commando album titled "5 troop 9 commando circa 1941 and I can tell you that at spots 4th/top row no 3 is Eddie Smith and no 4 Jock Port.

I have a photograph of the original 5 troop that arrived in Italy, signed by the entire unit. If I posted the pic, front and reverse with the names do you think it possible to obtain additional ID's.

regards, Doug
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Doug. I have updated that photo with the names. It's a great photo. Here is a link to it:

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/9cdo+troop+resized.jpg.html

We would love to have a copy of the photo you describe, front and rear. I always recommend scanning troop photos rather than simply taking a photo of a photo as the resolution is usually much clearer. There is a file size limit on the Forum so if the file size is more than 1mb send it to me as an attachment and I will add to the gallery and here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2023 17:29:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Doug

Thanks for the photo of 5 Troop and the reverse with signatures. I have added quite a lot of them. Many names are already in our Archive in different places. There are still a few I have yet to work out so if anyone has any ideas let me know.

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/5+Troop/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2023 17:29:16

[Email]
Doug
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Did you receive the alphabetical listing of the signatories ? I sent it in a different format than PDF.

I believe that my dad added an 'X' next to some of the signatures to indicate KIA.

Regards, Doug
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Doug

I could not open that document for some reason but I had worked out what the X meant against names. I have updated the photo now as you will see into alphabetical order and placed a link to our Roll of Honour. There are some I cannot decipher so if you have them on your list can you add them in a reply here. As an aside the Commonwealth War Graves Commission page for Private John Tatler does not list him as a Commando, and as a result neither did we. Thanks to your Father I checked again and saw that despite this omission their online archived Grave Registration and Headstone reports do. So I have updated our Roll of Honour and sent them a request to add No.9 Commando to their entry for him. It's a shame we cannot put all the names to the faces on the pic but at least if someone searches on a surname above, they will now discover this image.

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/5+Troop/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2023 17:29:28

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger