commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Paul Knight  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
dragonfly8
Forum Member

Does anyone have any information on Paul Knight? He is the third person from the right in the attached picture carrying something on his shoulder and looking down.
[Thumb - © IWM (B 5071).jpg]
 Filename © IWM (B 5071).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  332 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2018 11:40:58

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to our Forum

Perhaps you could tell us more about Paul Knight, your connection to him, how you know it is him ?

The image is an Imperial War Museum image. As your colourised image had a watermark advertising a commercial company I have replaced it with the IWM image in line with our forum policy on advertising. You will note the image is attributed to RM Commandos. However others have suggested these are Army Commandos.

IWM Image - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205205817

CVA gallery entry - http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/invasion+of+NW+Europ/1st+Special+Service+Bde+Cdos.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2018 11:38:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Brilliant photo.
On vacation Up State New York. A fair bit of snow here over night.
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2018 11:38:34

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
dragonfly8
Forum Member

Paul Knight is my father. He actually identified himself in this photo when he found it in a book on D-Day many years after the war. He was quite proud of the photo and enjoyed showing it to people. I had only seen the black and white version before last weekend, but happened to find the colourized version when I was searching for D-Day photos. My apologies for posting it on the forum, I should have thought of the copywrite considerations.

The photo is definitely of him, not only because he identified himself in it but because it looks exactly like him.

I am very curious to find out if there is any information available about my father during his time in the Commandos. My family knows some details, but not a lot. I have also been trying to find other pictures of him during this time period, but haven't been able to turn up anything through a Google search.

We are also trying to find out if there is anyone still alive who remembers my father from this time period. While he was in Berlin in 1945 he had a brief relationship with a woman which resulted in a daughter. We have tried to find information on our half-sister over the years but have never been able to find anyone who knew my father during this time.

By the way, this is a great Website. I have found a lot of excellent information and photos on the Commands in this site and really appreciate all of the hard work that went into developing and supporting it.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and thanks for replying. Do you know whether your Father was an Army Commando or a Royal Marine Commando, and which Commando unit of either of those that he was in ? Perhaps you have a photo of him in uniform that you could post?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Is this your father?

13801273 KNIGHT P. Pte. Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry & 10 Commando
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Looks as though he is carrying a stretcher.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
dragonfly8
Forum Member

Yes, as far as I recall, my father was part of 10 Commando. Is there any way I can look up further records about him from the ID you provided?

Thanks very much for locating this information. It is much appreciated!

GUY
Forum Member

GUY wrote:Is this your father?

13801273 KNIGHT P. Pte. Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry & 10 Commando

Your father originally served with the Pioneer Corps before transferring to the Ox & Bucks. L.I. and 10 Commando.
Was your father a German national that volunteered for service in the British Army?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If this is the correct man, ie. Pte. P. Knight of No. 10 Commando, then in September 1975 his last known address to the original Commando Association, of which he was a member, was in Willowdale, Ontario, Canada.

Source: Commando Association Lost Legion List 7. [view]

[Email]
dragonfly8
Forum Member

Yes, that's right. Our father was living in Willowdale, Ontario, Canada in 1975. We lived there when we were kids.

My father was born in Vienna, Austria. We are not exactly sure when he left Vienna to England, but we suspect it might have been sometime in 1938.

Thanks very much for the information about the Pioneer Corps. We didn't know that before and it is very interesting. Do you know if there is any other information about him in the Commando historical records?

We believe he had a child in Berlin (our half sister) in 1945 while he was still with the Commandos. My sister thinks he requested permission to marry the woman, who was a German citizen, but was denied by the army. I am not sure if that is accurate or not. Does it make sense? If it is accurate, would there be any record of his request?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

You have sufficient information now to make an application for a copy of his Army Service Record. How to do so with links to the application forms needed can be found on our Research document below. If the immediate next of kin applies, a full photocopy of the record will be provided, otherwise only a transcript with limited detail will be provided. The M.O.D., through their respective service disclosure sections, are the holders of these records so dont be fooled by some pay websites offering similar services.

You should additionally include with your completed application everything you know from family historical documents held about his movement from Austria to the UK. You may consider adding a request that any additional detail or references to additional detail, to that shown on his Service Record, that may be held by the Government, be released to you under the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Let us know how you get on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2018 10:51:54

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Please could I ask what your father's name was prior to leaving Austria and before assuming his "nom de guerre"?
dragonfly8
Forum Member

His original family name was Kalmar.
GUY
Forum Member

Hedwig Kalmar born in Vienna in 1915?

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger