commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Question about beret colouring on old ww2 footage?  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
nick6
Forum Member

Hi just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this ?

https://youtu.be/koIOoZDH808

I've just found this video on YouTube and at 1.45 it looks like a royal marine badge ? Unless I'm mistaken. So going off this that guys out of either 42 or 44 commando.

So my question is if I am right about the badge can anyone explain why he's wearing a beret with a patch (I presume black with red patch like they use during training now.) Rather than the standard green one ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2018 05:22:18

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

I'm at work so am unable to view the You Tube footage but without seeing it and from what you've described, I think I can give you the answer...

Despite a popular misconception, up to 1942, there was no such thing as a Royal Marine Commando!

The Royal Marines can trace their origins back to 1664 but not in a Commando role - they had Infantry, Artillery, Engineers etc. but they were all Royal Marines.

In 1942, Churchill decided that the RMs were not being used to their full potential and from then it was decided to train & convert nine RM Infantry battalions to become RM Commandos to serve alongside the Army Commandos (who had been formed in 1940).

With the introduction of berets into HM Armed Forces, those RM who didn't become RM Cdos wore the Navy Blue beret (with scarlet tombstone behind their Globe & Laurel cap badge) whilst the Army Cdos & RM Cdos were issued Green Berets.

After the War, it was decreed that the Army Commandos would be disbanded and the Royal Marines would take on the Commando role - it wasn't until 1964 that the whole RM Corps was eventually converted to RM Cdos and from that date, with the exception of basic recruits & officer cadets, all RMs wore the Green Beret.

Below a transcript of two instructions regarding RM berets...

Nick

Filename RM Blue Berets & Green Berets.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  392 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/11/2018 07:19:07

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
nick6
Forum Member

Oh right sorry the footage is of a beach landing in Burma and troops walking through a village. Footage is dated as December 1944 in the title. But there's a mention of kangaw which I though was January 1945 ? I might wrong as the footage is black and white old news reel but the guy at 1.45 definitely appears to have a royal marine badge on his beret. But also a patch.

So are we saying he could of been a engineer or medic or something like that attached to the commando units ?
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

RM beret - the one in the video has the badge attached.

Very interesting video - thank you.

[Thumb - RM beret.jpg]
 Filename RM beret.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  369 time(s)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger