commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commandos in 1941  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Leighton Grey
Forum Member

I am trying to find out information for my wife on her grandfather who she understands volunteered for the Commandos around 1939 - 1940. He had previously been a member of the Monmouthshire territorials.
Unfortunately she does not know his Soldier Number so it is very difficult tracking down his service record.
All she knows is that after joining the Commandos he went to Ireland to train, following that was posted to a camp in Scotland. Ata some point around 1941 he was involved in a raid on an island or islands off the coast of Norway.
Any help or guidance on how we could obtain his service record would be much appreciated.
Leighton Grey
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Leighton.

Would that be the Monmouthshire regiment or the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers Militia? Both were territorial regiments in South Wales. 100 sqn RMON RE lost a lot of men at Dunkirk captured. RMON RE have a museum in Monmouth if this is of any help.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Leighton,

Welcome to the CVA Website & Forums.

You haven't given us your wife's grandfather's name but, from the vague details you have given, there is a possibility that he was a commando as it fits in with a Commando Unit
However, to find out for definite your wife does need his service record.

That you state that she needs his service number suggests to me that you may have tried looking on the online genealogy sites such as Ancestry or Forces War Records etc...
Well I hope you haven't wasted too much money using these type of sites!

The good news is that your wife can apply to the MoD - the only custodian of WWII Service Records - and doesn't need his service number, just his date of birth.
The MoD charge a one off fee of £30 and you'll need the Next of Kin's consent and a copy of his death certificate.

Here are the links to the two forms to use:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711147/20180524-request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.2.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

If your wife does not have a copy of the death certificate, she can order that online too - here is a quick & easy guide...

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/images/Death%20Cert%20PDF.pdf

If you can tell us her grandfather's name I can look through the nominal rolls and see if I can find him and if there is a photo of him in uniform that may help me identify whether he was a commando or not.

Obviously we're here to help so if you have any queries or need any help please do not hesitate to ask.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Leighton Grey
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I have managed to extract some more info from my Father in Law and my Wife.

I understand my wifes Grandfather, whose name was Thomas Garland Bray, may have been in 2 Commando. He definitely was not in Dunkirk and I dont know which Territorial Unit he was in.

Following the training camp in Ireland he went to a training camp in Scotland where I understand he was an instructor and may have been Mess Seargent.

I have also found out that possibly following the action in Norway he was admitted to Rookwood Hospital in Cardiff with a Back injury.

I can remember him in his 70's and even then he was a pretty formidable person. He was only about 5ft 5inches tall and he would invite me to hold his wrists tight but he would be out of it in a split second and it was me that would be in his grip.

Again many thanks to everyone for their help.

Leighton
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I hope you find the information you're after.

You've just reminded me of something I'd long since forgotten. My dad and I used to play that game - I'd be hanging onto his wrists for dear life and he'd be out of my grip in the blink of an eye and holding my wrists instead. Used to drive me bonkers. :)

Thanks for the reminder!

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Leighton,

I would recommend that your wife uses the forms to apply to the MoD for his service records.
She will receive a scan of the original handwritten records from enlistment to de-mob with details of his training, postings, embarkations/disembarkations, theatres of war, promotions (and demotions if applicable), woundings, hospitalisations etc.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Leighton Grey
Forum Member

Many thanks to everyone for their guidance.

Leighton

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger