commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
A Commando's thoughts as he approached St Nazaire on ML 443  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just found a handwritten note by my late father, Joe Rogers MM of 5 troop No.2 Commando, which I think was to someone who was writing a book about St Nazaire although I am not sure who. I thought it may be of interest so I quote it here for members. My father was one of the demolitions team on board ML443 at St Nazaire:

" One incident which I omitted from your questionaire which you may find of interest. When called to action stations on entering the river and when I was feeling very apprehensive about what was about to happen, one of the sailors - I think his name was Brady -began putting on a football jersey, I think it was Newcastle United, and saying that he always wore this when he went into action. I remember laughing and feeling a lot better inside, and I have always remembered him as their No.1 supporter. "

A quick check shows that there was a Leading Seaman . P. J. Brady, on board their ML.

A belated thanks to him from me for making my Dad less nervous

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 15/05/2012 11:37:30

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Records show that Leading Seaman P. Brady was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for bravery during the St Nazaire raid. He, along with many of the navy medal recipients at St Nazaire are shown on the following link to the London Gazette 35566.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35566

Details of Brady were later amended in London Gazette 35591:
In London Gazette Supplement No. 35566 of 21st May, 1942: Page 2226.
For Leading Seaman Patrick Brady, P/MV.37-
Read
Acting Leading Seaman Patrick Joseph Brady, R.A.N.V.R., P.M./V.37-

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 05/01/2022 13:37:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wow Pete Im in awe of all who took part i n the raid .fantastic

SE Donnison
[MSN]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Pete, thanks for this post. As well as having the utmost respect for those who took part in 'The Greatest Raid of All', I have also been an avid Newcastle United fan since I was a bairn, so this really did make me smile.

Howay the lads!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/12/2008 20:06:22

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to update you a bit on this. I researched a bit on the seaman my dad mentions and have discovered that Leading Seaman Patrick Joseph Brady DSM was in fact in the Royal Australian Navy Volunteer Reserve. He received his DSM for his bravery and skill during the St Nazaire Raid. Sadly I have been informed his DSM came up for sale in September of last year but do not know anymore on this. However i have sent a letter to the Canberra Times which is the city in which he volunteered all those years ago reminding them of this guys heroics and my Dads story. Whether they print it I have no idea.
One footnote for Geoff - this could mean that he was not in fact a Newcastle United supporter after all. I'll let you know if I find out anything more.

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger