commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
List of Memorial Plaques at Spean Bridge December 2008  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have now completed the inventory of the Plaques at the Memorial which I attach. I have to go back up to the Memorial check the list against the Plaques. If anyone wants me to do a search for a special Plaque PM me.
I am going to do a search of the surrounding area just in case there are any of the missing Plaques there.

Bill Harvey
 Filename CVA Memorial plaques 2008.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  6359 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Bill, this must have taken you ages and I bet you got at least slightly wet. Thanks ever so much for your efforts, at least if I get anymore concerned families calling I will have a clear reference to what is there.

All the very best.

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill ,your a star Good on ya mate

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bill More
Forum Member

Ive only just found out that the memorial garden at Spean Bridge had been vandalised so this weekend I visited the site to see if the plaque that my familly placed there for my Dad was still there, I would like to thank Bill for his efforts in listing the plaques. And thank the people who restored the garden.
Its a sorry state the country is in when damage to famillies last acknolwgements to past heros is deliberatly vandalised.

Regards Bill More and family.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill

That is no bother. It was all I could do as I live in Oban only about 50 minutes from the memorial.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill More wrote:I
Its a sorry state the country is in when damage to famillies last acknolwgements to past heros is deliberatly vandalised.

Regards Bill More and family.

Totally agree with you Bill ...there was a time when an event like the desecration of a war memorial would of been a national outrage, when i hear of tatters pinching the names for the copper and brass and the memorials being stripped out of old building as they are refurbished and being chucked ,,,,makes my blood boil ..

all the best to you and a big thanks to Bill Harvey

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 18:49:12

jooske
Forum Member

Dear all,

My name is Jooske and I'm from the Netherlands. This is my first post and probably will be one of my last, as I do not really have any link or connection with the topics discussed on this forum...

However, I decided to sign up to post this reply when I was surfing and came across your moving posts about the Spean Bridge Memorial. My partner and I recently returned from our holiday to Scotland, and were ourselves deeply impressed by the memorial. When travelling we often stop at WWI and WWII graveyards, landmarks, and monuments such as this all over the world, to pay our respects and to commemorate.

While visiting the Spean Bridge memorial I made a couple of photos of the Remembrance Circle and stuck them together to make a panorama of it and the surroundings.

I would like to share (a smaller version of) it here with you. If you click on it or follow this link http://www.onze-wereld-site.nl/download/image003.jpg you will find a slightly bigger version. Sorry I couldn't get it any bigger, it refuses to show otherwise!

The full-sized panorama (8.36MB) is available, as are the original photo's, and a couple of pictures of the Memorial itself, if you're interested - just send me a pm to let me know and I'll gladly send them to you!

Sorry for "intruding" like this, just something I wanted to share... ;-)

Kind regards,
Jooske
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I would like to thank Jooske, a tourist from Holland, who took some very good photos of the Remembrance Garden at Spean Bridge. She has kindly sent me all of her photos some of which I have placed in an album in the gallery. I hope she will forgive me for cropping some of them to highlight the plaques and other items of remembrance. Her pictures are high quality and can be zoomed to read many of the plaques :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Memorials+and+plaques/

Thanks Jooske.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/04/2009 23:04:47

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
JackieM
Forum Member

I have just returned from a visit to Scotland. My father was a Commando during the war and I really wanted to see the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge...I must say, it moved me to tears. What a bed autiful tribute. I could almost feel my dad beside me looking up to Ben Nevis and I felt so proud. It is a beautiful place that everyone should try to visit and the Commando museum at the hotel. I wish my father could have seen this. He died in 1985. This website would have made him so happy too. I am sure he would have known some of the names and faces. Thank you so much for this website.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Jackie

Thank you very much for your compliments of the web site it is much
appreciated.

The Spean Bridge memorial is a very awe inspiring place and a worthy tribute to the Commando forces.

Have you attended the remembrance week-end gathering there?..........it's a very moving and fitting tribute.......maybe you will join us there sometime in the future.........you are very welcome.

Best regards

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/10/2010 21:51:39

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger