commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Bill 'Chalky' White  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

In response to my post a couple of months ago regarding Achnacarry I mentioned an old family friend, Bill White, late of 2 Cdo. Eric Buckmaster kindly informed us on a previous post that he recalled Bill being wounded at Salerno and Eric left him when posted back to 2 Cdo as Bill was suffering from malaria.
I'm just trying to find out if Bill did indeed returm back to 2 Cdo after Salerno and if also I can confirm that he was on the St Nazaire raid but was sunk on an ML on the way in and picked up by a further ML on the way out after being in the water for some time.

Any information would be greatfully received and a big thank you to the forum for previous help in relation to this subject.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gary

He is not on the nominal roll of Commandos who took part on the raid researched and compiled by members of the St Nazaire Society including those who took part. As to where he went after coming out of hospital I have no idea.

http://saintnazairesociety.org/personnel-15.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Pete...once again thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger