commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 x new photos of No. 4 Cdo French troop - names please  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

2 new photos have been added which relate to the French troop attached to No 4 Commando. They are from the stepson of Robert George 'Bob' Tout who is in each. I think Robert Saerens MM [view] is in the first. Any definites on his or the others ID would be appreciated.

1. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/Bob+Tout+and+others+copy.jpg.html

2. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/Bob+Tout+and+others2+copy.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

Does James Thomas have any idea which regiment Bob Tout was in - his cap badge is certainly not that of the French Commando Troops - neither is that of the commando on the far right.

Greatcoats were not worn by commandos, however there are photos of Norwegian commandos wearing greatcoats at Westkapelle - the sergeant on the left isn't a French commando (cap badge) but it is just possible that he is a Norwegian commando.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

I am hoping to get more information on his return from abroad which I will post as and when. Just for the record whilst checking a Commando Association list of Royal Marine Commandos I found the following two also served in No.4 Commando French troop. Pat Churchill and another Marine.

CH/X 114586 Marine L.G. Essex
PO/X 110814 Marine P.S. Churchill

with a possibility that PO/X 103878 Marine A.W. Coleman may also served in that troop.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Pete, I meant Pat Churchill in my email the other day - but I put Frank - who is, of course, Pat's son...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Nick & Pete

Bob Tout joined the Queens Royal Regiment (West Surrey) on 16th March 1944. He transferred to the Army Air Corps on 7th January 1946.

14730425 TOUT Robert George Pte. Queens Royal Regiment (West Surrey)

Guy

[Thumb - Bob Tout.png]
 Filename Bob Tout.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  258 time(s)

[Thumb - Queens.png]
 Filename Queens.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 284 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  247 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Guy.
I could 'see' a sheep but thought it had irs head down. I'd looked at QRR but it didn't look right.
Great work, thank you again.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick and Pete

I have contacted some of my French and a Norwegian contacts about this.

Will advise if I get a reply.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The full troop photo on the link below has Lieut. Leopold Hulot in the centre I believe:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/Bob+Tout+and+others2+copy.jpg.html

Our Archive entry for him here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Leopold_Hulot_Commando

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jean Pierre HELIAS

16:09 (1 hour ago)

to me

Hello Bill

I've seen on CVA forum ,you are looking for informations about the picture

with French commandos.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/6148.page

I think ,it 's ,perhaps,taken in North Beveland.

I can say you this names from the left:

X,X,Paul Chausse, Robert Saerens,Yves Vourc'h (uncle Jean Guy),Robert Tout,X,X.

It 's men of the 5 Troop ,commanded ? on order ? Captain Alexandre Lofi.

Jean-Pierre has been thanked and I have asked him about Robert Tout.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Later information

Juju Bes Le premier à gauche, on dirait que ce n'est pas un cap badge français. De plus les galons sur sa capote sont britannique.
First on the left, it looks like it's not a French Cape Badge. Plus the stripes on his Great coat are British.

Thanks to Juju.

Bill

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/09/2018 22:01:15

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jean-Pierre sent this.

Sorry Bill I don't know. (Bob Tout)

Perhaps its British peoples used for the transmissions like Pat Churchill in 6 Troop (Guy Vourc'h)

Bill

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger