commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
44 Commando Gallery Photos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Susan Beavers
Forum Member

My son discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and, looking through Ted Redmond's collection of 44 Commando photos, came across a picture of a commando who we believe may be his grandfather (my father). The photo is entitled Under Way, and we think he's in the foreground of the photo. He may also be in the one entitled On Board. I intend to post a photo of my father. His name is Edmund Nelson. As a Royal Marine, he joined 44 Commando in August 1943 and was involved in combined operations in Burma being wounded in action at Hill 170 on 26th January 1945. Now aged 99, I suspect he will be one of the few surviving founder members of the 3rd Brigade. I'd be really grateful if you could provide any further details of where and when the photos were taken. It would be great to have any further information just to confirm that it is him.
Thanks, Susan
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Susan has kindly provided a photo of her father, Mne. Edmund Nelson, which I have placed here and in our 44RM Commando gallery. Susan adds the following

He enlisted as a Royal Marine (EX3368) in February 1940 and joined 44 Commando D Troop in August 1943. He was involved in combined operations in the Far East and Burma, and was wounded in action at Hill 170 on 26th January 1945. His service ended in December 1945. He is now aged 99. I have sent off the cva membership application form which my dad signed himself despite now being severely visually impaired; he still has the Commando Spirit !

A big welcome to Edmund, Susan, and her son who found our site.
[Thumb - Edmund Nelson 44RM Commando.jpg]
 Filename Edmund Nelson 44RM Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo courtesy of his daughter Susan
 Filesize 258 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  312 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The photos Susan refers to in her message above can be viewed on these links:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/44+RM+Cdo_001/44+RM+Commando23.jpg.html

and

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/44+RM+Cdo_001/44+RM+Commando22.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger