commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
WW2 Commando Signals Cap Badge  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Antoine A.
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I would really appreciate any help on Commando signals Cap Badges. I understand it was the Jimmy but without the brass encirclement. Did it also have the motto "Certa Cito" at the feet of Mercury or was it a post war modification? I am attaching a picture below.

Many thanks in advance.

Antoine A.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Antoine,

I'm not an expert on insignia but as I understand it, during WWII some members of the Royal Corps of Signals took it upon themselves to 'adapt' the cap badge.
As you say, the brass outer circle was removed.

I attach a photo of the intact cap badge (King's Crown) and you can see that if the outer ring is removed there would be no scroll & motto...

I believe the current cap badge of Jimmy and scroll and motto (as you've included above) was introduced in 1946...

nick
[Thumb - signals.jpg]
 Filename signals.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 211 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  437 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/09/2018 17:14:35

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There aren't many clear photos of the cap badge but I think this one may give you a clearer idea...

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/Signals+troops/Duffy.jpg.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Signalman Bryan Woolnough, M. B. E. was a Commando signaller. His son has posted some information and documents which include a sketch portrait by an Italian artist created in 1944. Might be of interest.

http://www.warlinks.com/memories/woolnough.php

and in our gallery on the link below (where it can be enlarged). and in the image here, we have a picture of Bryan taken in 2010 where his cap badge is very visible.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/Signals+troops/CVA_Alrewas_2010+003.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

You could also try sending a pm to [1] Jean-Baptiste Brekelmans who has a good knowledge on insignia and badges and [2] Mike Beckett likewise. Their profiles where a pm can be sent are below:

[1] http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/user/profile/1020.page

[2] http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/user/profile/532.page

You can also view their previous messages from their profile page. This is worth doing as sometimes you will find that there has already been valuable information posted in previous responses. I know Mike has responded on Signals questions in the past.

Let us know how you get on.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

From August 1943 when an additional six Royal Marine Commando units were formed, Signallers from the Royal Marine Division were additionally used for the new four separate Special Service Brigades. As I understand it they came from 101 and 102 Royal Marine Brigade Signals. So not just Army Commando signallers !

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

attached are two photos of a WWII Royal Signals cap badge - on the second photo I have'removed' the outer circle...

Nick
[Thumb - signals.jpg]
 Filename signals.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  413 time(s)

[Thumb - signals.1.jpg]
 Filename signals.1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  428 time(s)

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Antoine A.
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick and Pete

Thank you very much indeed for your information. I guessed the cap badge I attached a picture of might be post war (sealed pattern dated 12th August 1946).

The pictures without the outer oval band give me a very good idea about what it would look like, Nick. Really appreciated.

I am considering on modifying the 1946 pattern. I might cut off the scroll inscribed "Certa Cito" and should look very much like the original (only the laurel leaves would be on a lower position).

I will also send a private message to either Jean-Baptiste or Mike Beckett, and see what they have to say.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

I will let you know how it goes.

Antoine A.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger