commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Bernard Peter Murray  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Katie
Forum Member

Hello,

Ive really been struggling with finding info on my grandad.

From what I gather he was a Royal Marine Comando but I can't see to find a single thing in relation to him.

My mum said he used to talk about egypt. And landing in Normandy by 2 houses.

Other than that I know nothing.

His full name was Bernard Peter Murray
Don 14.2.1922
He was from Liverpool but lived in Greenwich.

I have also been told he was involved in the combined ops. Spynx was one.

Any help would be so so deeply appreciated.
Katie
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums. I hope we can help you find out about your grandfather.
You say, 'from what I gather, he was a Royal Marine Commando...'

The thing is, in WWII not all Royal Marines were Commandos (as they are now).
It could be that he was a Royal Marine but he may not have been a RM Commando...
Your mum said he talked about Egypt and you mention the name Sphinx - HMS Sphinx was the name given to a RN accommodation camp in Alexandria, Egypt, from April 1941.

As a brief explanation there now follows a short history lesson... ;)

The Royal Marines can trace their roots back to 1664, however, this body of 'sea soldiers' was not known as The Royal Marine until 1755. At this time they were, basically, ship borne light infantry troops.
Around 1804, there was a need for artillery trained soldiers to man the 'bomb ketches' thus the Royal Marine Artillery (RMA) was established. As their uniforms were the blue of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, this group was nicknamed the "Blue Marines" and the Infantry element, who wore the scarlet uniforms of the British infantry, became known as the "Red Marines".

In 1855, the Marine Infantry forces were renamed Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI).

In 1919, the 6th Battalion RMLI mutinied and was disbanded at Murmansk.
The RMA and RMLI were amalgamated on 22 June 1923.

In 1940 the first Commando Units were established - but these were made up from individual volunteers from all the regiments & Corps in the Army
In May '42, Mountbatten requested permission be granted for the Special Service Brigade ( later to be known as Commando Brigade) to wear distinctive headdress. In October the same year, permission was granted "for the wearing of a green beret by personnel of the Special Service Brigade..."

In early 1942, Churchill wanted more Commando units to be formed and queried why there was so many Royal Marines on the HBL (Home Base Ledger) - personnel serving within the UK.
In February 1942, a unit known as The RM Commando was formed, it was briefly known as "A" RM Commando before being designated 40 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines. It was the only Royal Marine Commando formed entirely from volunteers as with the Army Commandos.

On 8 July 1943, His Majesty The King gave his approval for the issue of a blue beret to be worn by Royal Marines.
From 14 August 1943, all RM officers and Other Ranks serving in Special Service Force will wear a green beret in lieu of the RM blue beret.

A further eight RM infantry Battalions were converted, as a whole unit, to become RM Commandos - the last, 48 RM Commando, finishing a shortened commando course days before D-Day.

Because of the expansion of the Special Service Force, four Special Service Brigades were formed. Each consisted of four Commando Units - usually a combination of Army & RM Commandos [eg 3 SS Brigade consisted of: No.1 Commando, No.5 Commando, 42 RM Commando & 44 RM Commando] These Special Service Brigades were later changed to Commando Brigades.

At the end of hostilities the, irregular, Army Commandos were disbanded and the commando role was handed to the Royal Marine Corps. Gradually all RMs underwent Commando training until, in 1964, all Royal Marines had been commando trained and the title RM Commando was dropped and all personnel were now entitled to wear the coveted green beret...

So what about your grandfather, Bernard Murray...

Well the only way to find out about him is to read his service records. Unfortunately we, the CVA, are not privy to WWII records - the only custodian of WWII Service Records is the MoD! The good news is that your family can apply to the MoD for a scan of the original, handwritten service records of your grandfather.
There is a one off fee of £30 and you'll need a copy of your grandfather's death certificate and to fill out two forms but you will find out more info and give you a better idea of what your grandfather did and how to build on your research...

Here are the links to the forms that you'll need - they are fairly straight forward but should youneed any help - than we're here to help...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711147/20180524-request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.2.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711157/request_for_service_details_rnrm_application_part2__1_.pdf

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger