commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Achnacarry question and Sgt. Bill White 2 Cdo.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

A family friend of mine served in the Independant Companies in Norway and then in 2 Commando taking part in some of the early raids ie Vaasgo etc. He told me that he also went to train at Achnacaary as well. My question is ...Did all Commando's have to attend Achnacarry even if they had been in a Commando unit for some time already and taken part in raids? I understand that the camp did not open till '42 which mean some volunteers would have been in their units for some time prior to training in Scotland. I wonder, was there any resentment at having to undergo this training even though they had taken part in previous raids?
For the record my friend was Bill 'Chalky' White Essex REgiment TA and No 2 Commando.
Thanks.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2018 13:57:48

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My dad was in 10 Independent - went over to Dakar I believe. He trained at Achdalieu and Lochailort before heading to Achnacarry. He loved his time at Achnacarry and I can't remember him saying anything to the contrary. He loved to go back and visit the area.

He also volunteered to fight with No.2 in Sicily and Salerno.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gary

There is a misconception that every Commando went through a Commando Course at Achnacarry. This is certainly not the case. A timeline of Commando training can be read here

http://www.commandoveterans.org/EarlyCommandoTraining

Early Commandos were trained in many different parts of the UK. Some may have passed through Achnacarry when it was in use as the Holding wing for STC Lochailort. Others may not. Many Commandos were already posted overseas prior to Achhnacarry becoming the centralised training location in 1942.

In respect of No 2 Commando they sought volunteers from the Army in North Africa to replace their own casualties in Sicily and Italy, and those selected after interviews were trained locally. As can be seen in the above link a training area was already in place by the Great Bitter Lake at Geneifa.

So the answer is some did go through Achnacaryy, and some did not.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Many thanks to both of you for the information. Much appreciated.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gary.

In the book A plain russet coated captain by John Day captain A and B troops 45 commando, he completed his commando training at Wrexham and was sent straight to Portsmouth with his marine officers attendant where they were issued there green berets and joined 45 commando which according to the book was in 4th special service Brigade but then they were sent to 1st special service Brigade ready for the D Day build up. So it would appear not all went to Achnacarry.

Interesting question though.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Many thanks Craig. I only visited the area last week and I was struck by the ruggedness of the terrain. I would have liked to have wandered around the estate with the map they provided at the Clan Cameron museum but time was against me. Still, means I will have to attend again sometime. I also went to see the Commando memorial which is fabulous and very moving.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gary,

Do you know Bill White's full name at all?

The best time to visit Achnacarry and surrounding area is during Remembrance Week ...
The Commandos celebrate Remembrance Sunday in Fort William and then at the Commando Memorial - a very moving ceremony.
There are two other museums which are worth a visit - West Highland Museum in Fort William which has a permanent exhibition dedicated to The Commandos - and the Commando Museum at the Spean Bridge Hotel - a couple of our local associate members act as Stewards and have now got this smashing little exhibition back to a well ordered and catalogued tribute to The Commandos.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick

Many thanks for the information re the museums.

The only info have on Chalky is ....William White.....Lived in Loughton ,Essex and worked for French's construction and that is why he was in the Essex Reg TA as French was Colonel. He also worked with Col Newman. (As a matter of fact my Aunty was his secretary after the war for a few years). Bill was in Norway with the Independant Companies and was awarded an MID there. I understand he was on some of the early raids with 2 Cdo and, I believe, on the St Nazaire raid but having carried out research on this forum before he does not seem to be on the raid's nominal roll. However, he told he was on an ML that was sunk on the way in and was picked out of the water on the way out by another ML. He also attended Achnacarry, hence my original question.
Again, from research on this forum, it seems that he was wounded at Salerno and when recovered and was trying to get back to the unit he contracted malaria and his trail seems to be lost from there. I do have a couple of photos which I presume is Italy where he seems to have been returned to another unit ,possibly Dorset Reg, so perhaps he was medically downgraded!
He survived the war and went to reunions and passed away about 1990.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gary,

William White does not appear on our No.2 Commando Nominal Roll and, unfortunately, I cannot add him to the Roll just on anecdotal evidence. If you can find anything of substance to show that he was a commando, I will be homoured to add him.
If you can post the photos they may have something which will tell us he was a commando...

When did William pass away?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick....will get back to you on that as I have a copy of his MiD plus dome photos. I did post some photos here before and will check on the forum search engine again.
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Nick....I just used your forum search and found 3 references to Bill White albeit all posted by me. However in one of them a veteran does know Bill and also mentions about him being wounded at Salerno etc
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Sorry Nick...more replies😃 I have Bill down as Sgt WL White, Essex Regiment no.6010917. The MiD was published in London Gazette on 20/12/40.
I asked for info on Bill back in 2012 and the 'forum Colonel' then replied and also included some remarks by Eric Buckmaster who knew. The post is dated 6/2/12. I also included a couple of photos which are still on the website.
Regards......
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gary,

That's brilliant - just the stuff I need and the service number fits in with the Essex Regt too...

Thanks and now you'll find 'Chalky' on this link...

http://www.commandoveterans.org/2CommandoNomRollQ-Z

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick.... thank you so much for that. Like many others he had a tough war so I am pleased that he should be remembered like this.
A fantastic website.....keep it going. And thank you to all those who took the time to reply to my Achnacary question......much appreciated.
GUY
Forum Member

He was listed as wounded in action serving as a Sergeant with 2/4th Battalion Essex Regiment as part of the B.E.F. in France in 1940. The date was not recorded.
Confirmation of his wounding at Salerno on 13.9.1943
[Thumb - White.png]
 Filename White.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  450 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger