commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine J. Hannan ex 42 Commando RM 1964-1973  XML
Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
celrick
Forum Member

My Step Father is an ex royal marine who served for nine years between 1964-1973, serving in 42 commando also serving on the HMS Fearless.
He still likes to talk about his time in the marines and has some great stories to tell, he never climbed up the chain of command as he was happy staying a soldier not an officer.

My Step father served in Northern Ireland and Borneo as well as other places, I really would like to put him in touch with other ex Royal marines as he is now in his mid 70's and I really do think this would be something he would like.

His name is J Hannan and was from the North east of England (County Durham) please if possible if any one remembers him I would really like to put him in touch with them. I really appreciate any one who takes the time to read this and put me in touch with ex Marines who remember him.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/07/2018 16:27:19

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Colin

Your stepfather, I believe, is on this partial extract from a list of recipients of campaign medals, but can you confirm his first names and if it is him:

http://www.royal-marines.net/40cdo/medals/h.html

Additionally you can post a photo of him if you wish?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/07/2018 16:29:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
celrick
Forum Member

Thank you for that information and yes it was my step father on the list JC Hannan.

I have added a picture of him to what he looks like now.
[Thumb - my dad.jpg]
 Filename my dad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Marine JC Hannan
 Filesize 978 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  492 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/07/2018 13:32:21

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If your step father would like the image placed in our Post WW2 Gallery could you let me know his forenames ?

I would also recommend the advice given on the RMA website (see below) where if he joined, he could search for colleagues in their members area.

It?s likely that the person you are looking for is a member of the RMA. If you are a member, you can log into our members area (royalmarinesassociation.org.uk/members/account/membership/) and use our member search facility. If you would like to join the RMA, please apply online here: (https://royalmarinesassociation.org.uk/join-us/).

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
celrick
Forum Member

Good afternoon Pete,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post, I will look to find out more information about the RMA website to see if I can put my Step father in touch with some the ex royal Marines he served with during his 9 years in the forces.

I will tell you that when he talks about his time in the Royal marines he certainly not only enjoys telling the stories but really lights up when he is chatting about his time in the RM's.

Once again thank you for the response.
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Celrick (Colin?)
It's just possible that your step father and I served together at some stage, as our periods of service overlapped for a few years.
As a PW (weapons instructor), I may even have been one of those 'orrible NCOs that made his life such a misery (not really- I was kindness itself!).
In 1964/5 I was a member of Sgt. Pete Tasker's team - a mountain of a man, with a voice like a foghorn.
Yours, aye
Vic
Stay safe

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference".
Robert Frost
celrick
Forum Member

I can?t wait to ask him if he remembers you, I will definitely let you know either way.
Many thanks
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There are a couple of photos of me on the site, in the gallery under the name Vic Balsdon (42 and 45 Commandos RM)
Be prepared for some bad language if he remembers me!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference".
Robert Frost

Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger