commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Service Certificate  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My father's Commando Service Certificate is unfortunately in rather bad condition ( not my fault!), it also has a number of mistakes. For example his initial has been typed as A instead of H (Hugh), also his Army number has had one extra digit included ( ie 41974433 should be 4197433) and his parent Regiment has been typed as RFW instead of RWF (Royal Welch Fusiliers).

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - XC13-Hugh Maines-Commando Service certificate..jpg]
 Filename XC13-Hugh Maines-Commando Service certificate..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1314 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  568 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ive got my dad's framed here on the wall. Awesome thing to have eh ,plus theres Lucky Laycock's signature . Have you still got the letter Laycock sent to your dad after the war thanking him? I have my fathers . i think every commando got one

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen
To be honest I was not aware of the existance of such a letter, my father was demobed in jan 1946 but reinlisted with his parent regiment (RWF) in Nov of that year. Consequently he left all his Commando stuff at his parent's house and although I have got most of the important things (Commando Service Cert, Operation Torch Cert, Commando Knife-No Scabbard, Commando raid photo and campaign medals) I think some of the stuff like his beret and the letter that you mentioned must have been left at his parents house and have now sadly vanished. He also used to have a Japanese officers black lacquered sword that he retreived after the battle of Hill 170 plus a telecsopic gun metal cosh that he took from a German in N.Africa. These two artefacts went missing during my parents many house moves, both in this country and overseas, during his service in the RWF.
I have now almost completed the display of my father's Commando stuff, which will comprise 5 large frames, I am just waiting to receive some repro No1 Salamander patches that I have orderd to complete two of the frames (again sadly I don't have the originals of these either). These are being made by the supplier / maker who's details I recently posted on this site. Once I have completed the whole display, I will take some photos of each and post it on this part of the forum.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers Andy.

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Andy
I 'll scan the letter when i can . It starts Dear Donnison ,,,which made me smile , Thanks my dad for his service with the commandos. Alas i had mementos of Burma that he brought back and have now I remember a been lost in time Saddens me soo much, I remember a japanese necklace and an army belt full of badges ..

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen

Thanks I would really be interested to see this letter, as I said previously I was not aware of its existance. However I will have another look amongst my father's things just in case, but I am pretty sure that it has gone missing.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger