commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
1st Commando Brigade at Belsen camp 1945.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have recently had a conversation with the co author of the waist high cornfield the story of 46 Royal Marines Commando. He told of a story of his father going into Belsen with 46. My late gran and family members told me that my grandfather was in Belsen in 1945 with 45 Royal Marines Commando. There is no real documented evidence on this, although Keith the author of the book states he spoke to a veteran from. 46 who said they were in Belsen before the tanks/ gunners went in.
During this conversation on the CVA FB page, someone mentioned a photo of piper Bill Millin at Belsen, I have spoken to Bills son John via a message and he has given permission to use the photo for a new book following 46, this adds fuel to my search on my mums dad and his war.

Question is would any of you on the CVA site have any further evidence or stories to go with this story. I?m told that it wasn?t documented and that some units were diverted away from the camp.

Any leads or info would be appreciated.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Craig,

I think the photo referred to is this one Bill Millin - burial detail for German dead at Belsen

Additionally it might be worth spending sometime listening to the audio recordings that the IWM have on their website which include many Commandos. They really give a lot of useful information.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/07/2018 00:13:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete. That?s the one.

I?ll check out the IWM recordings. Cheers.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger