commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Patrick Churchill  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Frank Churchill
Forum Member

It is with the deepest sorrow that I must report the death of my father Patrick Churchill.
Dad died peacefully in his sleep on at 5 a.m on Thursday morning (28 June) at Witney Community Hospital. I was at his bedside in his final hours.

Dad had become increasingly frail since the death of my mother Karin in January and he was recently diagnosed with liver cancer. Nevertheless, he was determined to make one last pilgrimage to Normandy at the beginning of June.

Dad volunteered for the Royal Marines aged 17 and was called up just after his 18th birthday in March 1942. He volunteered for 'Hazardous Service' because "it sounded more exciting than peeling potatoes"! and completed Commando training at Achnacarry. On D-Day he served with 2nd Royal Marines Armoured Support Regiment, landing shortly after 8 a.m on Nan Green sector of Juno Beach. His Centaur tank was the only one of his troop to make it off the beach and by the end of D-Day he had penetrated up to 4 miles inland. On D+5 his troop was involved in the Battle of Rots & Le Hamel providing fire support for 46 RM Commando in their fierce fight against 12th SS Panzer Hitlerjugend.

After spending a month in Normandy, dad returned to Blighty to be re-assigned to 4 Army Commando as signaller to 6 (French) Tp ahead of Operation Infatuate, the liberation of Walcheren. He landed on Uncle Beach, Flushing at dawn 1 November 1944. Dad remained with 4 Commando until the end of the war and then returned home to resume the job he had left, working at Morris Motors (now BMW), Cowley, Oxford.

Dad was a life member of the Commando Association and regularly attended its London Branch meetings and reunions at home and in abroad. On its disbandment he and other veterans felt that the unique Commando esprit de corps should not die with it but be carried on for future generations. Thus the Commando Veterans Association was born and dad was invited to become its founding president. Dad was delighted to see the CVA grow from strength to strength and always kept up with news from the Dispatches newsletter even though he could not longer attend events in later years.

Dad's funeral will be held on Wednesday 18 July at 11.30 at St.Mary's Church Cogges, Church Lane, Witney OX28 3LA. ***** location and time changed...see below ****

All those who knew dad personally and the wider Commando family are most welcome to attend.

Frank Churchill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/07/2018 20:01:25

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was so sorry to hear of Pat's passing, Frank. He will be missed by so many people - not only the Commando family - on both sides of the Channel.
The only worlds of consolation I can offer is that he is reunited with your mother and his devoted wife, Karin.
May They Both Rest in Eternal Peace...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Frank Churchill
Forum Member

Thank you Nick.

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

RIP Patrick re-united with your lovely wife Karin.
It was a pleasure to have known you both and thanks for all your support and assistance at the formation of the Commando Veterans Association.
My sincere condolences to Frank and all of Pats family and friends.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

New arrangements and location for the funeral

The service will now be held at 1 p.m on Wednesday 18th July at St. Mary The Virgin (St. Mary's on the Green), Church Green, Witney OX28 4AW

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Remembered with honour. Our thoughts and prayers are with Frank and all the commando community. Always in our hearts.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

From the RM Association website:

The funeral service of RMA Member Patrick Samuel Churchill will be held on Wednesday 18 July 1 p.m at St. Mary The Virgin (St.Mary?s on the Green), Church Green, Witney OX28 4AW

His son, Frank Churchill, is hoping to source a Standard Bearer to be present and part of a Guard of Honour. A Bugler has already been arranged via the RM Band Service.

Patrick Samuel Churchill R.M 1942-46 PO/X 110814

Commando Course, Achnacarry 1943
2nd RM Armoured Support Regiment D-Day, Nan Green Sector Juno Beach;
Attached to 4 (Army) Commando as signaller to 6 (French) Tp Aug 1944 - May 1945. Landed Flushing, Walcheren 1 Nov. 1944 (Operation Infatuate 1).
Recipient of the Croix de Guerre (with Silver Star); Chevalier de Legion dHonneur
Serving Royals and Veterans who either know him personally or who may not have known him but would like to be present to pay their respects are most welcome to attend the funeral.

Please inform Frank Churchill if you are planning to attend: [email protected] .

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger