commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Walter 'Eric' Hill  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Pusserstoker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am the grandson of WJE Hill who served with 45 commando during the war. I am trying to find sny details of his service including service number. I have some old photos which I will upload to the site, any detail of these would be very much appreciated.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 30/06/2018 21:06:33

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My grandad was 45 as well. I have the official 45 story if you want me to email you a copy. And I can email you a black and white B troop photo, there are others I have if you want them sent over.

Regards.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pusserstoker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great ! Yes please, I will try and post some photos I have of him, not sure where they were taken though. My email is pusserstoker@ yahoo. CO.uk
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Book and some photos sent.
Pusserstoker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi thank you very much for the information you have sent. I will upload the photos that I have. My grandad had a photo in his medal display cabinet that shows e-troop. Still not sue which troop he was with. HD caught pneumonia swimming the Rhyyne river i believe and was casevacced back to the UK. Also heard that he got busted from corporal back down to marine for punching his relief awake after finding wine in a French farmhouse.
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pussser

There is a troop photo of E troop in the 45 CVA gallery. I found my grandad in B troop on there. My nan told me that he was nearly court martial led in Holland for shooting the farmer they were billeted with. He was on sentry and challenged someone in the dark, they didn?t reply so he fired, shot him in the leg. His get out was that he hadn?t been taught the challenge in Dutch. Case dropped. Also May 30th 1944 was absent from a listening post in Portsmouth, his daughter was very ill and he tried to get home, this was dropped due to operational reasons 7 days later his punishment was to get on a landing craft with a one way ticket.
Pusserstoker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As promised here are some photos of my grandad WJE Hill also called Eric.
[Thumb - dadrm1.jpg]
 Filename dadrm1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description WJE Hill
 Filesize 194 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  523 time(s)

[Thumb - Mum&DadWedding.jpg]
 Filename Mum&DadWedding.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description WJE Hill getting married in uniform
 Filesize 60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  536 time(s)

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pusser.

The photo of Eric with the rifle. The building looks very similar to HIlsea Barracks Portsmouth. Google HIlsea barracks the wall and hedge are featured in photos.
Pusserstoker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It does look similar, but cant see the carving of Neptune on the wall.
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There?s mention of HIlsea when they formed and in a recording by Captain John Day ex E troop then B troop on the history of 45. Look on the imperial war museum search. It takes some finding but very interesting.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul
I haved noted the comment you posted against the photo (see link below). Would you advise me where is your Grandfather positioned in the photo as you look at it, and also what were his full forenames ? If you care to add his dates of birth and death I will include those on the image of your Grandfather that you posted in this forum thread when I move it to the gallery. On the wedding photo would you also advise me of your mother?s first name as it seems only proper to include thatwhen I enter that photo.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/07/2018 23:46:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The link as described in the above message

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/45+RM+Cdo+E+trp.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger