commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Major General Corran William Brooke Purdon CBE MC CPM  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we have to advise you of the recent death on the 27th June 2018 of Major General Corran Purdon CBE MC CPM, a veteran of No 12 Commando and member of the Commando Veterans Association. Our sincere condolences to all his family and frends at this time.

Corran Purdon volunteered for the Commandos whilst serving as a young officer with the Royal Ulster Rifles, and was attached to No.12 Commando. He took part in raids at Norway and at St Nazaire (Operation Chariot). He embarked on board HMS Campbeltown for the St Nazaire raid as a young Lieutenant in charge of a demolition team. He was wounded during the raid, and subsequently captured. Later he escaped from Spangenburg Prisoner of War Camp, where he was imprisoned. He was on the run for ten days before being recaptured and transferred to Colditz Castle. He was awarded the Military Cross. He remained in military service after the war until retiring in 1976 as General Officer Commanding Near East Land Forces. His next role was that of deputy commissioner of the Royal Hong Kong Police Force between 1978 and 1981.

His full military record can be read below as recorded in the Liddell Hart Military Archives, Kings College.

Born in 1921; educated at Campbell BorneoCollege, Belfast and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; 2nd Lt, Royal Ulster Rifles, 1939; served with Army Commandos in raids on Norway and France, 1940-1942; POW, Germany, 1942-1945; 1 Bn, Royal Ulster Rifles, Palestine, 1945-1946; GHQ Middle East Land Forces, 1949-1951; on Staff, Malayan Emergency, 1956-1958; Company Commander, 1 Royal Ulster Rifles, Cyprus Emergency, 1958; Commanding Officer, 1 Bn, Royal Ulster Rifles, British Army of the Rhine, 1962-1963, and Borneo, 1963-1964; General Staff Officer Grade 1 and Chief Instructor, School of Infantry, Warminster, 1965-1967; Commander, Sultan's Armed Forces, Oman, and Director of Operations, Dhofar War, 1967-1970; Commandant, School of Infantry, Warminster, 1970-1972; Small Arms School Corps, 1970-1972; General Officer Commanding North West District, 1972-1974; General Officer Commanding, Near East Land Forces, 1974-1976; retired, 1976.

Rest in peace Corran.
[Thumb - Major General Corran PURDON.jpg]
 Filename Major General Corran PURDON.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Merville Battery 6th June 2009. Photo courtesy of Stephane Saint-Martin
 Filesize 41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  444 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/07/2018 21:03:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, comrades and friends.

Thanks for his service and for our freedom.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
MBrockway
Forum Member

A sad day for riflemen and commandos everywhere.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Corran at the St Nazaire Raid 70th Anniversary commemorations in France in 2012.

He was a remarkable man.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

He will not be forgotten.

Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
mike beckett
Forum Member

I visited Corran and Jean at their beautiful home on 14 July 2014 it is an experience I will never forget. The hospitality was fantastic but above all - what struck me - was how approachable both Corran and Jean were. He was a true gentleman, and reading his book 'List the Bugle' provides obvious reasons why Corran was so highly thought of by his men. It is clear their well-being was a primary concern for him. He will be sadly missed and I express sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family. We have lost a great friend and exemplar.
In sorrow, belatedly ...
Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/07/2018 10:50:46

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Extract from The Times with some additional details. The funeral is private but there is a service of thanksgiving afterwards.

PURDON Major General Corran William Brooke CBE MC CPM died peacefully at home on 27th June 2018. Adored husband of Jean and of the late Patricia, wonderful father to Patrick, Tim and Angela, and an inspirational figurehead for his whole family. Private funeral followed by a service of thanksgiving, at St John's Church, Long Street, Devizes, SN10 1NP, on Thursday 26th July, at 2.30pm. Convenient parking may be limited. No flowers please, donations preferred to the Royal Irish Regiment Benevolent Fund. Enquiries to John Stuart Funeral Directors. Tel: 01380 729459.
Published in The Times on July 3, 2018

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
barry wales
Forum Member

Corran Purdon was my fathers troop commander (D troop) in No 12 commando. My father, Harold Holland Wales, often spoke of "Dickie" Purdon and I was fortunate to meet him and his first wife at his home in Devizes. He signed my copy of List The Bugle and it was a delight to meet such a charming and informed veteran. I reminded him that he had required my father to carry a 2 inch mortar strapped across the chest and to fire it, whilst propped against a tree, and then move on with the attack. The problem was that the base plate would dig into the tree and leave father pinned to the tree. Corran thought this quite amusing, but said that he thinks he tried it himself with no problem.
Rest in peace Corran.

Barry Wales

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger