commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
'Z' call up  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Does anyone know of something called 'Z' call up please? My Mum said my Dad was 'called up' for 2 weeks in 1952 (stationed somewhere in England) and she said this is what it was called.

Di Robinson
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Di,

I think this must refer to Class Z Reserves - I can't remember the criteria for being Class Z, but will endeavour to find out

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Have a look at this link to questions in Parliament about the Z Reserve and in particular the ages of some being called up

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1952/may/20/class-z-reserve

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Di,

I've just checked my father's Service Records and it states that he was:

RELEASED TO CLASS Z(T),
Royal Army Reserve
16 9 47
(Class 'A' Release)
Taken on Strength
CLASS Z (T) Reserve
17 9 47

hope this helps,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was explained to me when I left the services that at the end of their engagement discharged servicemen with a reserve liability are placed into X, Y or Z catagories.

The prefix letter signifies the ability of the individual for employment in their previous role. The prefix is changed at preset intervals until the age of 50 when it changes to Z and remains so until 55 which is when normal reserve liabilty ends.

During any Transition To War (TTW) the call up of reservists is based on these prefix designators.

X = Can be employed in previous role immediately or with minimal training.

Y = Will require training to fill previous role, limited capability.

Z = Recalled to home service only may be employed on Keypoint guarding and protection of critical national infrastructure such as ports, power stations etc.

I am currently in the Z rating and have already received my letter removing me from 'normal' reserve liabilty activation.

Up to the mid eighties there would be an annual exercise which involved the activation of large numbers of reservists and HMS Drake in Plymouth would be full of ex servicement struggling to fit into uniforms that had shrunk in the loft! as has mine!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2008 13:46:26

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Thanks to all for their responses. Much clearer now.

Regards

Di

Di Robinson
Roy Evans
Forum Member

Hi there,

To add to what Stephen said, I can remember how ex national Servicemen were paranoid about being recalled to the colours during the late 1950's and early 1960's, especially as the cold war did look as if become 'hot' at any time.

I imagine, like Stephen's comments, there must have been a lot of breathing in to get uniforms to fit.

Also I had a governor at one time who had been the ex Chief Engineer from HMS Dreadnought (HM Sub) and he always went away each year for his 'annual camp' he called that his Z holiday.

Nice to make contact, Cheers, Roy.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger