commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Updated & Revised Nominal Rolls  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Pete,

Tanners unit 170/57 LAA RA supported the ground troops during Operation Exporter in 1941 so i'm guessing that he probably wasn't 11 (Scottish) Commando.

Kind regards,

Alan.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Update for 8 (Guards) Commando.

L/Cpl. S.J. Swann,2617954 - Grenadier Guards - 2 Troop - 8 (Guards) Commando - MEC - C Squadron 1/SAS - SRS. POW Termoli 04/10/1943.

Recorded in Nominal Roll as Swann, Joseph.

Alan.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Update for 7 Commando Nominal Roll.

3656776 - Pte Edward Ralphs - South Lancashire Regiment - 7 Commando - SRS - 1/SAS - M.M.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

I have updated the N.8 Commando nominal roll entry for Swann. He was a member of the original Commando Association and they listed him as just Joseph.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/8CommandoNomRollL-Z

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again Alan

In regard to Ralphs I have a copy of his MM Recommendation whilst attached to the Special Raiding Squadron. Do you have a source for his service in No.7 Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

there is just the one entry in the WO 417 files for him which records his MM and the reference to 7 Commando is tagged on the end.

Alan.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan
These changes have now been made. Many thanks.
Pete

[Email]
sfanning6027
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Hi Alan

I have updated KEARNEY with sources here http://www.commandoveterans.org/JoeKearney_11Commando

In respect of the others what is your source for their service in 1 Troop please?

There are the following in the RA Attestation Registers 1939 whose service numbers are close.
970064 Siden Alphonsus ABBOTT (note S rather than A at the beginning of his first name.)
970158 Henry Robert Noel WOOD (RA (Field) 15 November 1943.)
970558 John Allenby REYNOLDS (RA (Field) 24 September 1943.)

I can find no 'A' Holden with similarly close number.

The A Holden on the nominal roll is actually Thomas Talbert (Bert) Holden 970131, nicknamed "Trapper". I think the A is a mistaken belief that his name was Albert, he appears to have gone by Talbert or Bert. He was born in 1905 in St.John's, makes him rather old to be a commando. He was returned to St.John's and discharged in 1942 due to health issues.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As an update to the Layforce Nominal Rolls please note the following amendments,

7 Commando - Harvie G C - Delete entry the initial source (M&M) was incorrect although the name Harvie was legit in L Detachment he did not come from 7 Commando.

7 Commando - Keenan J - Parent Regiment incorrect he was Scots Guards service number 2692289 and should be 8 Commando not 7 Commando.
N
7 Commando - Munachen J - James Munachen.

7 Commando - Kaufman I I - Ivor Isaac Kaufman enlisted 20 June 1940.

7 Commando - Hawkins A - Arthur Thomas Hawkins serial number from source incorrect should read 6343577 enlisted RWKs discharged same day and served with Queens Royal Regiment.

8 Commando - Bridger A is Albert Denis Bridger.

8 Commando - Robertson J P - originally enlisted in RA(T) and re-enlisted Scots Guards 7 September 1939.

8 Commando - Smith A is Alexander Henry Smith (Alec).

8 Commando - Sadler J - is John Sadler previously RA(T) March 1934 re-enlisted Scots Guards 1 May 1940.

8 Commando - Evans R D - service number incorrect should read 2695297 Robert Humphrey Ward Evans Scots Guards not Welsh Guards.

8 Commando - McKay R - should read Robert W M McKay.

8 Commando - Quinton R S - should read Robert Stanley.

8 Commando - Maloney J W - Escaped from Italy and reached Switzerland, he swapped identities with a Capt. T E Wilson.

11 Commando - Alexander R P - although as yet still no conclusive proof of being in 11 Com his name was Roy Percival Alexander from Nairn.

11 Commando - MacDonald E - commisioned into West Yorkshire Regt gazetted 1943 attached temporarily to 2/Seaforths then 5/Camerons temp attachment to SLI before returning to 5 /Camerons. His service number once commisioned was 259442.

Sorry for my initial errors with Harvie, Keenan and Evans and hope additional information will be of use.

11 Commando - Robinson D. - To read Robinson D.T. Sgt 79555 RASC Reported missing Syria (Litani River Operation Exporter) 9 June 1941 there is only one file in the WO417 series .

11 Commando - Reynolds WJ A - Service Number T/69250 RASC WiA Syria (Litani River Operation Exporter) 9 June 1941.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 27/01/2024 11:53:10

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger