commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Unidentified photos from the collection of Lance Corporal Emmerson  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Any ideas on this one just posted into our War Graves albums:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/scan0070.jpg.html
[Thumb - scan0070.jpg]
 Filename scan0070.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 438 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  376 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/11/2012 19:30:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I can read "COMMA..O" on the second line - I can't make out what is written on the first line.

I would guess that the word 'Commando' has been written on to the stone for the mason to 'chase out' with the chisel.
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/02/2012 23:50:02

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It looks like "No" on the top line. And possibly a number 6?

Julie

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/02/2012 10:05:31

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I agree with Julie. No. and what appears to be a 6.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yep, I'm with Julie & Peter on this - now I've retrieved my glasses from my daughter's house, i can clearly see a 'No 6'.

What a shame we can't make out a name.

I am intrigued that the stones appear to have been carved in situ though (although I hadn't really though about it previously.
Now I have to wonder who did the carving - The Pioneer Corps perhaps?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I would have thought that the name would appear above the regiment/Commando unit but there is no sign of any lettering whatsoever between the cross and the No. 6 Commando. Had there been a name there we should be able to make at least some of the letters. Most strange.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looking through the photos and War Diaries I see that HQ Bde was established at 'the Priest's House' at Brachterbeek from 25 Jan 45 - 19 Feb 45.

As previously stated, Lt Gen Miles Dempsey visited Bde HQ on 17 Jan 45 and he is easily identified on this photo
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/1+SS+Bde/30.jpg.html
There is no other record of Lt Gen Dempsey visiting the Brigade, so we must assume that this is the Priest's House', Brachterbeek. [although the War Diaries for March 45 are missing from the National Archives so it is possible that Lt General Dempsey may have visited in March too]
If we now look at this photo:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/The+Commanders/scan0137.jpg.html
I think it's fair to say that this is the same building.

The War Diaries say that Durnford Slater visited Bde HQ on 9, 13, 16 Feb 45, but the only other British General that visited was Major General L O Lyne, Commander 7th Armoured Division, on the evening of 18 Feb.

Could the officer at Brachterbeek be the same as the general taking the salute on the link below?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205205300

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/04/2012 17:12:31

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have been able to identify this church as being the Heilig Hart van Jezus (Holy Heart of Jesus), Brachterbeek

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/1+SS+Bde/jke073.jpg.html

Looking at the architechture I thought it must be in the Maasbeek area and then I found this church at Brachterbeek but, somehow, it wasn't quite right.

http://www.kerkgebouwen-in-limburg.nl/view.jsp?content=479

What threw me was that our photo has been accidentaly uploaded back to front (but with no easy reference it is almost impossible to tell) but I enlarged the clock face and it was clear that it was back to front

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/04/2012 16:34:52

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I am pleased to say that John Emmerson has discovered another album at his sister's house which contains some of the photos for which John had found the negatives and were unidentified. The good news is that John's father, L/Cpl 'Ken' Emmerson, who took the photos, has written annotations on these photos. I have begun to replace those photos concerned with the new annotated versions. There are also a few new ones to be uploaded. At the present time they can be seen on the last page of the No.1 SS Bde album. There are about 70 in all so will take some time but the 10 I have just uploaded can be seen here. Those that are simply replacing photos we have in the gallery will not show up in the Recent Updates so I will post a message here as I update them :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/1+SS+Bde/

A big thank you once again to John Emmerson for all his efforts and for granting the CVA permission to display his father's excellent collection.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/04/2012 16:36:41

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's great news - I'll be interested to see if some of the annotations confirm the names of individuals and places that I have theories on but, unlike some of the buildings I have been able to identify, have no proof to substantiate those theories.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

When John Emerson first emailed me about these photo's I had no idea they would amount to this................what a fantastic archive.....absolutely wonderful.

regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

More new photos added and others amended all shown here:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/04/2012 16:37:34

[Email]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent work Pete.
Please keep the photos coming. :-)

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A few more added to pages 2 and 3 . The last batch of graves and medal ceremonies will be added tomorrow.

I am interested to know if there are any CVA members or friends resident in or near Le Plein ?

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/04/2012 16:38:19

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I get your drift Pete: you could send the photos of the youngs girls and two children to Le Plein to try and find out who they are and if they are (hopefully) still alive. It did happen with the two boys on the photo in Kamperland just recently. It could be an idea to send them to the Town Hall or something like that. Perhaps there are people who know the girls and the children.

Concerning the photo of the Kamperland boys. I have been in contact again with the man from the historical section of Beveland and he has had an interview with Rien Koole, one of the boys on the photo (the left one). When he has finished writing the things Rien Koole told him, he will send it to me. Koole didn't have many photos of the war. There is also contact with the widow of Piet de Haze.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger