commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Poems about the D Day Commandos  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This poem from the collection of Bob Cubitt No 3 Commando is provided to us courtesy of his son Bob. The poem was written by P/JX 344186 Telegraphist Gordon E. Eveleigh RN, one of the naval crew on board an LCI that ferried the Commandos from Warsash on the River Hamble across the Channel to Normandy for D Day.
[Thumb - D Day Dash poem.jpg]
 Filename D Day Dash poem.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Poem written by P/JX 344186 Telegraphist Gordon E. Eveleigh RN
 Filesize 551 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  3489 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/06/2018 21:14:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Judi Kemp
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob,

Hope this finds you well.

I'm Judi Kemp, my Father was Lieutenant Michael John Scovell, he was a No. 3 Commando, Troop 2, MTO, (also known as Mick or Mickey) was at Sword Beach and probably knew your Dad.

I've just read "The D-Day Dash From Warsash", and in the second paragraph "They came aboard, casual like Saying Hello Jack, How do Mike" so I'm wondering if Gordon E. Eveleigh, RN was referring to my Dad (Mike) on the LCI.

It does sound a bit far fetched but certainly piqued my curiosity.

Warm regards,
Judi Kemp
North Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA

Judi Kemp
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Here is another poem which is dedicated by the men of X Troop to those from 41RM Commando who died on DDay.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/41+RM+Commando/GroteFoto-MW4UHAVG.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger