commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for commando private memorial near Gairloch, Scotland  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
johntaylor
Forum Member

Some years ago I came across what looked like a private memorial to a commando on a grassy bank in - I thought - Poolewe near Gairloch. I have always meant to return to say thank you to whoever he was, and did so last week. However much I searched and enquired (museum, locals, Facebook) nobody knew anything of this memorial and so I left very frustrated and determined to find him. There is in the town a memorial including R Urquhart (commando) and this may be him - but where has the private memorial gone?. Maybe he wasn't a WW1/2 casualty but another conflict? This is not a headstone nor is it in a graveyard - it's a memorial stone about 2 feet across -all on it's own, but I can't find it.
If anyone could help then I should be most grateful - I want to know why it has been removed (if it has). I may be totally wrong about the location as old age is winning - and it may be somewhere else, but at least I can try and I don't give up easily.
John
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

The R. Urquhart is likely to be Private Robert Rose Urquhart of No. 9 Commando who lived in Achnasheen, and was killed in action at Lake Comacchio, Italy. We have an album with information on him including photos and letters courtesy of his brother. Here is a link to it:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/RobertRoseUrquhart9Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is a good online blog here with some memorials in the area.

https://www.gordon-c-harrison.co.uk/Blog/The-Memorial-Trail

Hope you find it and keep us updated.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger