commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
National Archives Files at Kew  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I am looking for help from anyone who might live near, or may be contemplating a visit to, the National Archives at Kew. Or indeed anyone who may already have copies of the three files outlined below. The first two relate to the Middle East Commando Depot and the latter relates to Commandos, Special Service Battalions and Commando Depot at Achnacarry. On the latter it is specifically material about the Commando Depot that I am looking for:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C168429

and

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C168430

and

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11293886

Due to the terms and conditions of the National Archives photos taken of their documents should not be posted in the public domain without their written permission. So I woould be looking for the photos to be emailed to me and then consider which would be suitable for transcription, which is acceptable, for our website.

If you can help can you please email me .

Many thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/04/2018 14:48:55

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Have only just seen your request, so perhaps you already have these files. I live reasonably near National Archives, and visit from time to time. If you still need to see these files, let me know, and I will photograph them for you on my next visit.

Noel Rabouhans
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Noel

Thank you for responding. I did get a couple of responses by email one of which was from Julie Warren who referred to WO 379/115 file as a series of information cards about Commando units. On the other files relating to the ME Commando Graham Cooper contacted me with images but unfortunately they were of low resolution and not readable. Basically I am looking for anything about the Commando Depot at Achancarry, or the Middle East Commando Depot that gives details of set up, staff names, courses, or deaths in training. Or in fact anything about either Commando Depot that you may consider important.

We do have some details of those who died in training kindly provided by Martin Briscoe which came from the local Registers of Deaths in Scotland. Anything that mentions more on these individuals or others would also be of interest.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/TrngCentresROH

All the best

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

Hi Pete, I visited National Archives today, and looked through the three dossiers you referred to.

WO 218/158 comprises the monthly war diaries for the Middle East Depot Commando for January - December 1941. I did not find any reference to any deaths in training.

WO 218/159 comprises the monthly war diaries for the Middle East Depot Commando from January - June 1942. For 10th May there is an entry:

"Cpl Shields D Sqdn died from burns received from accidentally ignited petrol drum thrown up on beach by sea at El Rakham Bay" (photo taken of relevant entry)

There is also a nominal roll of officers from early July 1942. (photos taken of relevant pages)

WO 379/115 is a series of file cards, with summary histories (of locations) for a number of commando units. (Photos taken of complete set of cards). No reference to any deaths.

I hope that this is helpful. I can send you the photos if you wish

Kind regards

Noel Rabouhans
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Noel

Thanks for this. I have updated our entry for Ronald Shields whose cause of death was previously unknown to us. Our record can now be viewed here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/RonaldShields51MECommando

I do not need the image for this as you have provided the reference, etc., and his service in a Commando is already established.

I would like to see the image of the nominal roll you mention. I think the cards may be the ones Julie mentioned. How many are there?

My email is on the link below.

Thanks very much Noel...

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger