commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Fred Freeman, No7 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Anonymous

I am searching for any information regarding my fathers time with 7 Commando. As far as I am aware he sailed on HMS Glengyle to take part in a raid on Bardia, from there he was captured at Crete and spent the rest of the war in POW camp. He passed away 5 years ago without leaving much information about his war-time escapades, I would dearly like to know more. If anybody knew him or remembers meeting him during WW2 I would love to recieve any information.

my e-mail address is [email protected]

Steve Freeman

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/02/2009 20:46:29

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Steve
I can't help with any info about your dad particularly but would draw your attention to a very good book covering the Crete operations.

Title: Crete...The Battle and Resistance
Author: Antony Beevor
Pub : Penquin 1991

If you haven't already read it it's worth a look.

Regards
JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Anonymous

Thanks John just ordered the book from Amazon for £3.50
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Steve:

Regarding your Dad's service in No. 7 Commando, it is going to be somewhat difficult to contact survivors of that unit. As you probably know, the members of No. 7, along with other Commando formations which comprised 'Layforce', were disbanded on August 1, 1941 and returned to their various regiments with some going to the newly-formed Special Air Service unit under David Stirling.

From the dark days following the end of the fighting on Crete, one published quote is worth recounting:

"I smashed my tommy-gun in rage against the rocks in a fury of disgust. I was 25 years old and four years of my youth were to be wasted in P.O.W. camps."

We appreciate what a bad time your Dad must have encountered, but we are glad that Hitler's infamous 'Commando Execution Order' was not promulgated until October 18, 1942.

We do hope that Fred had a happy and prosperous life to make-up for the hardships that he endured and we will remember him in comradeship.

Best Regards,

Bob & Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

Your email address no longer works. Since your post our archive has developed so am hoping you will see this and provide a photo of your Father to include alongside our archive entry below and in our gallery.

https://www.commandoveterans.org/FredFreeman_7Commando

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger