commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte F Mercer  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Eric Mercer
Forum Member

I am trying to find any record of my father 3769075 Pte F Mercer (King's Regiment) who joined the Commandos in August 1942, He served with the Commandos until 8 November 1945 and was discharged from the Army on 12 February 1946.
He did take part in the D-Day landings as part of 1 Special Service Brigade - I think he was in either 3 or 4 Cdo. I have a photograph of him and his group being addressed by Lord Lovat after the landings and the initial fighting through France.

I have looked through the Cdo archives, including at most of the pictures, but have not identified him.

Any help would be most appreciated
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome

Would you please advise us of the full name of your father including any middle name, and the area where he lived.

Thanks.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Eric Mercer
Forum Member

Thanks for your speedy response. My dad's full name was Frederick Mercer - no middle name. He was born in Liverpool. He enlisted at Seaforth (into the King's Regiment - Liverpool) on 26 January 1933.

He got married in Plymouth in May 1943 and his place of residence at this time was given as Sherborne in Dorset - he would have been in the Commandos at this stage I believe. He was at the Military Dispersal Unit on 13 November 1945 in Taunton.

Hope this helps in finding out more detail.

Thanks again.

Eric Mercer
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Eric

Regrettably the only F. Mercer I have found had a middle name and came from Musselburgh in Scotland. I think your best option is to apply for a copy of his service record. Here is how to do so: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Eric Mercer
Forum Member

Many thanks indeed Pete for checking this for me. I'll now go to the Records Office as you suggest. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Thanks again
Eric

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger