commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William McNamara  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
BillyM
Forum Member

Hi, trying to find information on my Grandfather, come from a line of Servicemen, Navy, Marine and Army but draw a blank on my grandfather.

Served as RM Commando, received Africa Star, conducted evacuation in Italy (Vesuvius) as well as service in Naples. Potentially Italy star as well. Name was William Henry McNamara believe he may have shortened name.

Any help would be appreciated, traced relatives to HMS Victory, Desert Rats etc etc but nothing on my Grandfather so far

Billy M- Ex Submariner
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Billy,

Have you applied to the MoD for your grandfather's service records?
The MoD is the only custodian of WWII Service Records - don't bother with any of the commercial, online genealogy site such as Forces War Records or Ancestry etc.

To get a scan of his original, handwritten service records from the MoD you'll need to complete two forms and send them along with his death certificate, the consent of his Next of Kin and a £30 Admin Fee to the MoD (if his widow is still with us and signs the consent then the £30 fee is waived).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545058/request_for_service_details_rnrm_application_part2_1_.pdf

Fill in as much of the second form as possible but the very least you must include are the full names and date of birth...

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger