commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
LSD tests on 41 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Meugher
Forum Member

Hi,

I?m hoping someone here may have some information on the following. In the summer of 1965 17 members of 41 Commando volunteered to take part in some tests at Porton Down. After a few days of psychological tests, during which 4 people were filtered out, they were each given doses of up to 200 micro grams of LSD in solution and asked to carry out a field exercise which was later written up as, ?A Field Experiment Using LSD25 on Trained Troops?.

It?s a long shot, but I?m wondering if anyone on this forum took part in this exercise or has any knowledge about it. If so I?d love to hear from you. By way of explanation, I am an historian of Britain?s psychedelic history (author of Albion Dreaming). There is a file on this experiment at the National Archives at Kew, London. My email address for any responses is [email protected]

Thanks
Andy
MBrockway
Forum Member

Just in case you were all wondering ... this does appear to be 'no duff' ...

There's a file at the National Archive Ref WO 189/444 titled 'Field experiment using LSD25 on trained troops'

See: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5097319

The file hasn't been digitised, but I might see if I can get a Pal to photograph it - is it a big file Andy?

Cheers,
Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Meugher
Forum Member

Hi,

Yes, it has been digitised, that?s the form I got it in. It?s about 30 pages, and it was late ?64, not summer ?65.It was one of three tests involving LSD carried out on British troops. Some film of it can be found here (and this is the correct film as you can tie various scenes in it to the file).

https://youtu.be/KWodyapGNxI

Thanks
Andy

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger