commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Chariot at St Nazaire 28th March 1942  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This week marks the 76th anniversary of the raid. Remembering all those who died or suffered life changing injuries during the raid, and also all those who took part and have since passed on in the passage of time.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Chariot

We will remember them.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
MBrockway
Forum Member

We will remember them

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In memory of all who took part 77 years ago in this raid in which five Victoria Crosses were awarded, especially those who died or suffered life changing injuries.

Read more below with links to content including the Commando Roll for Operation Chariot:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Chariot

We will remember them.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Remembered with honour.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Why we should remember.

The following link takes you to a transcript of a letter written to his Father by Lance Sergeant Bill Gibson of No 2 Commando just before they set off on Operation Chariot, the raid at St Nazaire. It was to be delivered only if he did not return. Bill Gibson died during the raid.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/LanceSergeantGibsonLetter

When You Go Home,
Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow,
We Gave Our Today.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/03/2019 17:45:42

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Remembering all The Fallen from the Combined Operations Force that took part and those who suffered life changing injuries during Operation Chariot at St Nazaire 78 years ago this week.

The Commando Fallen are listed below:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/Operation_Chariot_ROH

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Not forgotten

Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This week marks the 79th anniversary of the raid. Remembering the Fallen and all who suffered life changing injuries, and all who took part but have since passed on with the passage of time. We will remember them.

Read more about the raid on this link: http://www.commandoveterans.org/Chariot

[Email]
MBrockway
Forum Member

Another year passes.

Still we remember them.

Mark

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is the 80th anniversary of Operation Chariot at St. Nazaire. Remembering all the Fallen and those with life changing injuries, and all who took part in the raid after which 5 Victoria Crosses were awarded.

We will remember them.

Commando Roll of Honour for the raid: https://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoROHStNazaire

Commando Personnel: https://www.commandoveterans.org/operation_chariot

Naval Personnel: http://saintnazairesociety.org/personnel-1.html

Those awarded the Victoria Cross:

Lieutenant Colonel Augustus Charles Newman, No 2 Commando

Commander Robert Edward Dudley Ryder, Royal Navy

Lieutenant Commander Stephen Haldane Beattie, Royal Navy

Sergeant Thomas Frank Durrant, No 1 Commando

Able Seaman William Alfred Savage, Royal Navy

[Email]
MBrockway
Forum Member

Not forgotten

Mark

[Thumb - 28032012259 (reduced).jpg]
 Filename 28032012259 (reduced).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Wreathes at the 70th Anniversary ceremony 2012
 Filesize 268 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  292 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have recently added the name of another commando to our Roll of Honour for Operation Chariot which took place 81 years ago this month. He had previously been recorded as seriously wounded during the raid. We did know he died in the UK 10 months later but not the cause or circumstances. On receipt of his death certificate I can now confirm he died by enemy action as a result of the gunshot wounds to his head and leg. This is clearly marked on his death certificate.

Remembering all the Fallen including 6019554 Lance Corporal Henry Francis Fowler No.2 Commando https://www.commandoveterans.org/Fowler2Commando

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/03/2023 22:51:43

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.
MBrockway
Forum Member

Great work Pete. Thanks.

Another one remembered.

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger