commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Stanley Roy KEW AKA Danny WW2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Ink8455
Forum Member

Sorry, I'm new but.....

I'm trying to find details on the late Stanley Roy KEW, born 12 January 1925.
His daughter wants to collate as much information on her father for her children.

Unfortunately neither of us know or can find his service number.

What I have discovered is that Danny enlisted in 1941 at the age of 16-17 in either the Royal Navy or Fleet Air Arm. He may have been less that accurate on either his date of birth or name?
He was a stoker on HMS Fencer and was involved in Operation Pedestal 10 Aug 1942.
After a Russian Convoy he applied and was accepted for Commando training.
He started his training in Chatham, Kent (stipulation that they could swim over 1 mile) ...training HMS Dolphin Portsmouth... down to Barnstaple with SRS - sea training.

His best mate was a Canadian, known as Skeats who was tragically killed before D-Day.

He was awarded the following medals;

1939 -1945 France Germany Star.
Pacific Star with Rosette
Atlantic Star with Rosette
Victory medal
Defence medal

Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction?

Kind regards
[Thumb - Stanley Roy KEW.jpg]
 Filename Stanley Roy KEW.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 419 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  305 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/03/2018 14:30:59

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ink8455,

Welcome to the CVA WEbsite & Forums.

That's a fantastic photo of Danny Kew and I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember where!

I'm afraid we don't have the details you are after on our website; however, the good news is that Danny's daughter can apply to the MoD for a scan of his original, handwritten service records.
She doesn't need his service number to do this - and the MoD is the only custodian of WWII Service Records, so tell her not to bother with any online geneology sites such as Forces War Records or Ancestry etc.

I have attached the 2 relevant forms she will need.
They must be completed as fully as possible - but do not worry if she hasn't got all the information they ask for - as long as she has Next of Kin's consent (that may even be the daughter), a copy of Danny's death certificate, and a one off administrative fee of £30 then the MoD will do the rest...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545058/request_for_service_details_rnrm_application_part2_1_.pdf

Do you have any other information about 'Skeats'? Was he a RN Commando too?

Good luck with the search and please keep us updated or contact us if you/she needs any help.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/03/2018 21:54:50

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Ink8455
Forum Member

Thank you
Ink8455
Forum Member

Skeats was a Canadian who served with Danny on HMS FENCER (I believe) and then together they joined RN Commando.

I don't have any further information other than he was killed before D-Day and I seem to recall it was something to do with removing Hedgehog mines.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger