commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dirk (Dick) Arie Remmelzwaal, commando, help needed!  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

My dutch great uncle was a commando in WW2 and his son, my dad and myself need help finding information!

He never spoke about the war until shortly before he died, and we have limited information. I live in the UK and I am due to visit the national archives on saturday and am also sending off for his service record (if available!)

Despite the unusual surname, we cannot find any record of his name anywhere, despite there being a lot of information on the 'Engelandvaarders'. It is possible he changed his name or used his mothers maiden name, Hus.

Here is a brief summary of what we know:

Dirk (Dick) Arie Remmelzwaal From Katwijk, The Netherlands, turned 18 in August 1942, we think it was that year that he went into hiding near the Belgium border to avoid forced labour deployment by the Germans.

He made his way to England by boat from Portugal, via Belgium, France, and Spain.

- 1942/43 Likely Compulsory routine immigration procedures in UK (interviews by British and most likely also Dutch), I will be looking for records of his (possible) interview at the national archives.

- enlisted in British Army and trained as an commando (special forces) in Scotland , this must be Achnacarry. Are there records of troops trained there?

- 10 July 1943 Sicily (Italy) Landing (sea - or airborne), probably also short stay on southern Italian mainland (not extended into winter 43/44)
We think no2/no 3 commando is an option here. Does anyone know if airborne units included Special Forces?

- Autumn 1943 back to UK
- 6 June 1944 D-Day Normandy, France, Parachuted with Special Forces 6th Airborne Division in very early morning in Merville area, eastern side of Sword Beach; great losses of unit (more than half of all men of battalion / regiment). We think therefore this is likely to be the 9th Parachute Battallion. Does anyone know if I can find a list of survivors? Or which no commando ?

- September 1944 Arnhem (Operation Market Garden), no details

- Winter 1944/45 Walcheren, Zeeland (the Netherlands) probably into March/April 1945, no further details yet
No 4 Commando is an option for Normandy and Walcheren.
No 10 Commando is an option for action in Arnhem and Walcheren

- May 1945, after the liberation a very brief home leave (a few days home in Katwijk)
- Spring/Summer 1945 preparation for transfer to Burma theatre with British special forces and actual journey by ship to the far East; deployment as peace keepers as the war in the Far East had ended in the meantime (August 1945)
- 1945 or 1946, transfer from British Forces to Dutch army in Dutch East Indies, details unclear

I need to add that he said fought with English soldiers, and was often posted with different commandos, which seems to tally with the different places he fought. We therefore do not think he was part of 10 IA commando no.2 dutch troop, or at least not for very long, possibly in Walcheren?. Perhaps Xtroop? We also think he said he did not have a service number. Could this be correct?

I would very much appreciate any help with this, it would mean a lot to the family to have his name added to all the records and to find out more about where he was.

*UPDATE* The photos are not wartime, they are from after the War during his time in the Dutch east indies when he was back in the Dutch army
Many thanks
Jacqueline Preston Remmelzwaal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/03/2018 17:42:53

jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

I'm hoping attaching photos separately might work
[Thumb - IMG_0198.PNG]
 Filename IMG_0198.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 691 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  504 time(s)

jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

And two more
[Thumb - IMG_0200.PNG]
 Filename IMG_0200.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  506 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_0199.PNG]
 Filename IMG_0199.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 388 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  519 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.commandoveterans.org/10CommandoHolland

Best wishes on your search.

Have you tried contacting the Dutch Commandos?

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this man. There will be many on here who can help or point you in the right direction.

Normandy, Italy, Walcheren ... same as my dad - so very interesting. Good luck!

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have contacted a couple of my Dutch friends.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

Hi Bill,

My dad will be doing so, and Dirk's son will be visiting the dutch archives too, his previous attempts at finding information were unsuccessfull.

Thank you very much for contacting your dutch friends, I hope they will also be able to help!

Best wishes
Jacqueline
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think that he may have been in X troop, I've read somewhere that members of X troop changed their names to a more British sounding names to avoid reprisals if they were captured. They were based in Aberdyfi. Is there any connection to Wales.
They were attached to many different units during their formation. And might have been known by their adopted nom de plume and reverted back after the war?
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jaqueline

One of my Dutch friends came back he can find no trace in his No 2 Dutch Troop records. If he joined an British unit did he have a number? Did he change his Name as many did?

Bill

Bill Harvey
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just for interest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/17/a2657117.shtml

https://www.praguepost.com/culture/forgotten-heroes-czech-x-troop-commando

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/03/2018 16:09:11

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Kevin

Bill

Bill Harvey
jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

Thank you for your replies Bill and Kevin!

My dad said he told him that he also had no regimental labels (sorry if this isn't the correct term!) on his uniform,(does this fit with x-troop? and he is pretty sure he said he had no service number. I've just asked my dad if he spoke good German, this may have been a reason for him to be in X-troop.

He was definitely in Scotland but my dad does not remember him mentioning Wales. There is a possibility he forgot.. I will look into this.

Bill, thanks again for asking your friends, it does seem unlikely now that he was with 2 dutch troop, which confirms what we thought and what he said about fighting with English soldiers.

Does anyone have tips on where to look/ask at the national archives to find a nominal roll but with original names too?

I am the most hopeful about finding him in the interviews conducted by MI5 and the Dutch government in London. Fingers crossed for saturday. Any other tips gratefully received!
jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

Thanks Kevin for those links, I ordered Ian Dear's book last week but unfortunately it's not here yet!

Jacqueline
jremmelzwaal
Forum Member

I've found a list of original names and their nom de guerre, but this is from a naturalisation request.. My great uncle made no such request so that would explain why he is not on there..
the search continues..

Here is a link, others may find it helpful
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/no-3-jewish-troop-of-the-no-10-commando
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41439&start=0

There is good reading in one of the replies on this forum.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger