commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Audio cassettes  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I have two cassettes if anyone is interested. One is of the 40th anniversary of D-Day. Recordings of veterans and also BBC correspondents. The other is of the blessing of the Commando flag belonging to the Brighton & Hove branch by Fr. John of the parish church of St. Michaels in South Lancing on Sunday 26th February 1986.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter

Really asking this of the team can the audio cassettes be copied onto the CV archive?

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bill

Anything is possible. They would have to be converted to mp3 format so that would have to be done by whoever wanted it to be considered for inclusion. Then of course they would have to investigate whether any copyright may be in existence by others. If there is then a formal request would have to made to get a licence for reproduction, which is likely also to involve additional cost.

Theres some really good audio recordings on the IWM website which detail individual?s entire Commando career, rather than just short interviews at events.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete

Peter will see this.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I am having a major clear out. If nobody wants them, they will go in the bin.

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter

If you send them up to me I will see what my technical experts can do. 12 Castle Road Dunbeg Argyll PA37 1QH.

Cheers

Bill

Bill Harvey
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

OK....will do.
I also have some of my dad's memorabilia which I need to sell so watch this space. Most important that they go to somebody in the Commando family.

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

thanks Peter

I would put it on here and ask them questions about what Commando Family they are connected to.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Bill, I make no guarantee that such audio files will go on the website even if converted. I would not want you to go to the trouble of converting audio to mp3 thinking that they definitely will. It is something that I will speak to John Mewett about. Speaking personally I am not certain it is a line that we should go down and I certainly would not be able to commit the time to them myself. These are perhaps of more value to relatives of those at the events concerned, and simply providing them with a copy, or even having copies at CVA events to be listened to by those interested might be a better option.

There is so much content that is being added on a daily basis to our website about individuals that I think that should be the priority. This in itself is very time consuming research wise as are the requests for help that come in on the Forum and by email. As I said in my original reply the IWM have properly structured audio interviews with veterans which I highly recommend.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

OK. I won't post them until I hear that they are definitely wanted.

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete

Thanks for that. I will get our lot to annalise what is on them. It is better that even if they don't go on the website that the content can be known and kept for the Commando Family.

Peter

Can you send them and I will get Susan and Iain to have a look at them and see what we can do with them. Once done I may look at the West Highland Museum.

Thanks for all your help.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I think that is a much better idea Bill.

Thanks.

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All

The offer of the Audio Cassette is very much appreciated as is all content for this web-site.
The overriding fact as to publication is of how relevant and important the info on them is to the wider research audience who use the site.

Bill if you can obtain and verify the content and then inform Pete if you think they fit the criteria for inclusion that would be great.

They are a very interesting artefact and I would be interested to know what they contain just from curiosity.

Best regards to all

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John M

I will do as you suggest and get Susan and Iain to help.

Thanks

Bill

Bill Harvey
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Bill, posted this morning.

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger