commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Kenneth Harrison Drew 41 RM Commando KIA Sept 10/43  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I came across this photo , that I had not seen before ,on the social media site .The picture belongs to Morph Brady and I am posting it with his permission . He is looking for information on Kenneth Harrison Drew 41 RM KIA Salerno Sept 10/43. However , my family is quite certain that the man kneeling down in the bottom left corner is our Dad. V.W. Miller #2 Commando #3 Troop .Any help in identifying anyone else in the picture would be greatly appreciated . He believes the picture was taken just prior to Salerno Thanks
P.S.I have sent him a link to Kenneth Drews grave picture in the Salerno gallery
[Thumb - B8EFE801-7FE8-4961-8777-7D174A894219.jpeg]
 Filename B8EFE801-7FE8-4961-8777-7D174A894219.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 178 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  349 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 29/01/2018 14:28:57

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Lindsay

From what I can see the cap badges where visible on those wearing commando berets is Royal Marine Commando rather than 2 Commando.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete , wishful thinking on our part I suppose ,it is a remarkable likeness though since all four of us picked out the same person . Regardless , if anyone can identify any of the others I will pass on the information . Just to update you , the Bradys think that Kenneth Drew is second row third from the right
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Lindsay, it could be a rare mixed group photo I suppose its difficult to say as some are wearing comforters rather than berets but that mix of headgear by no means confirms it is a mix of 41 and 2. Each had both forms of headgear.

What connection is Morph Brady to Kenneth Drew ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
morphbrady
Forum Member

HI Pete,

My wife's Dad was named after Kenneth Drew, he was orphaned and his families relations brought him up along his my wife dad when they were boys. In 2006 my wife and put flowers on his grave at Salerno. Last weekend they managed to find all Kenneth's paperwork they had including all documents from MOD about KIA etc & letters that amazed me as he talked about Achnacarry. ( i did a presentation on it for my JCC) I was 42 Commando myself (PW2) and instructor at CTCRM, so the history is cool. However i decided to try and find more info, then we found the Photo listed here. We are going to take my father in law to Salerno next year and Vietri plus I want to put a Portfolio together for them and get a framed Beret, flashes, Dagger and Plaque in a presentation case too.

cheers
Morph
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Morph

Thanks for making contact and your explanation. Are you able to email me on the email address link below regarding adding more to our website entry about Marine Kenneth Harrison Drew which is here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/KennethDrew41RMCommando

and also about your proposed visit to Salerno next year.

ATB Pete

[Email]
morphbrady
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Of course.

cheers
Morph

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger