commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Stanley Edwards, WW2 Commando??  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
CommanCestor
Forum Member

Hello,

I am interested in finding any information available about my grandfather, Stanley Edwards. I have very little information, but in an old letter, he claimed to have served in the Commandos during WW2. I have a photo of him and 2 other servicemen sitting on front steps of a home/building with the notation "France 1940" on the back. [I tried attaching it to this message, but it won't let me...as soon as I figure it out, I'll send it along]

My mother obtained information from the MoD years ago stating that he served in the Bedfordshire Hertfordshire Regiment, and later with the Somerset Light Infantry T force. Service #5946317.

My mum had very minimal contact with her dad growing up, but remembers a few bits and pieces. Regarding his service during the war, she thinks she remembers seeing him with a red beret, and casual talk about him having been a paratrooper, and the ?possibility? that he was a POW?but none of this confirmed. Also, that he did not want to partake in a trip to Belgium later in life because of (presumed?) bad memories from wartime. I know it?s very scant information, but I?m just trying to grasp at anything that might be useful.

I do know that he survived the war and lived much of his later years in Sussex, where he passed away in 1985.

I?m hoping some experts out there might have some insight about this photo. I can?t make out any identifying marks on their uniforms, although the 3 of them all look different.

I plan to request his military records from the MoD, but I understand it can take over 3 months. I am in the US, so my options are limited.

Any and all help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

CommanCestor
Forum Member

Here's the photo...
[Thumb - StanleyAndPals40.jpg]
 Filename StanleyAndPals40.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 655 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  310 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What was your grandfathers full name it sometimes helps

Best wishes

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
CommanCestor
Forum Member

Bill,

Herein lies one of many little inconsistencies that have come up through many years of research. The answer depends what document(s) you believe! To make a long story short, his full name could be:

Stanley Victor Edwards,
Stanley George Edwards, or
Stanley Edward Edwards

Take your pick!

Thanks,
Nan
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nan

Keep going and I would get the service records before you go further.

I started researching in 2003 when my Mum died Dad was kia 1/11/44 in Holland. None of the Dad's comrades talked much about the war.

When you have the records you can come back to this site for advice.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nan

The SLI were at Dunkirk serving in France and Belguim which may be why he did not want to go to Belguim.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/somerset_light_infantry.htm

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/01/2018 10:46:32

Bill Harvey
CommanCestor
Forum Member

Thanks very much, Bill
Yes, I'm sure they did not want to talk much of their experiences. It must have been very painful.
Thanks for the info and advice, I will send for his military records and try to be patient :wink:
Nan
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Which on of the three men is your grandfather ? The chap at the back on the left is wearing what looks like leather riding boots which suggests that he was a cavalryman or a horseman of some sort. Perhaps horse drawn artillery ? I think horses were sent to France with the BEF.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
GUY
Forum Member

5946317 EDWARDS Stanley Edward L/Cpl. 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment & No.3 Commando
Born December 1907 (?) Lambeth, London.
He enlisted in the Beds & Herts Regiment on 11th January 1926 at Canterbury aged 18 years and 14 days. His trade on enlistment was listed as a baker.
He was transferred to the Reserves on the 29th November 1933.
He would have rejoined the Regiment from the Reserves in 1939.
The caption on the photograph would suggest that Stanley served with 2 Beds & Herts in Belgium and France (1.10.1939 - 1.6.1940)
The majority of the 2 Beds & Herts were evacuated from Dunkirk on the 1st June 1940.
A cadre of men from the 2 Beds & Herts were among the first volunteers for No.3 Commando when it formed in July 1940.

There are no record of how long Stanley served with 3 Commando.
He was transferred to the Somerset Light Infantry on 7th September 1944.

The dates that Stanley served with 3 Commando and evidence of any Airborne connection would be confirmed by obtaining a copy of his service records.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/01/2018 13:26:11

CommanCestor
Forum Member

I came to the right place for help. Thank you all for the info and insight. :-)

Peter, my grandfather is the one sitting in front. Good tip re: the boots and cavalry info. Thank you.

Guy, you give me some new info to go on. I didn't know he signed up at 18, but that is very possible and makes sense. I'm not sure about him being at Dunkirk as my mum doesn't remember any talk of that, but it would be amazing to find that out.
This is all very interesting, I am sorely uneducated on all things military related, so am very grateful for your input.

Just one thought about the photo...does the fact that these 3 men don't seem to have any identifying badges/pins/insignias/ etc. on their uniforms suggest anything at all? When off duty, what were the dress requirements?

I think I have some reading to do. :wink:

Thanks again,
Nan

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Given the information provided by Guy, L/Cpl Stanley Edward Edwards has been added to the No.3 Cdo Nominal Roll.

As a commando, Stanley would have worn the green beret; however, the memory is of a red beret - a paratrooper's beret...
Stanley's service started with the Beds & Herts, he then became a commando but there is later evidence of him being in The Somerset Light Infantry...

The 10th Battalion,Somerset Light Infantry was raised in 1940, and was converted, in 1942, into the 7th Parachute Battalion, and became part of the Parachute Regiment, itself part of the British Army's airborne forces. They were assigned to the 3rd Parachute Brigade, which was originally part of the 1st Airborne Division, but were later assigned to the newly-raised 5th Parachute Brigade, part of the 6th Airborne Division which had also just been raised.
The 7th Parachute Battalion would see its first combat during Operation Tonga, the British airborne landings in Normandy, the night before June 6, 1944, D-Day. They would then go on to serve throughout the Battle of Normandy as normal infantrymen, The battalion then played a part in the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944 and then again in Operation Varsity in March 1945, the largest airborne drop of the war, including both the 6th Airborne and the US 17th Airborne Division, with well over 16,000 airborne troops being involved

As has been suggested, Stanley's service records will give much more detailed information regarding his service from enlistment to demob.

Below are the links to the forms you will need to apply for his records. You will need the signature ( consent) of his Next of Kin , a copy of his Death Certificate and a £30 fee.
If you need any help with the forms please let me know.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

it is true that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) Records Office is a very busy office and some applications have taken over 3 months but others have been dealt with in as little as 3 weeks. I would always recommend that you send in your application as soon as possible.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
CommanCestor
Forum Member

Thanks for all the great information, everyone. We have a lot to process.
We will be sending for the service records this week, and will be sure to return to this site when we get them.

One other question in the meantime: does anyone know what, if any, kind of documentation was required as proof of age upon enlistment?
In our genealogical research, we have yet to find a birth certificate that matches all the information we know to be true. My mum grew up always thinking her dad's birthday was 26 Dec, and his middle name was Edward, but the only birth certificate we found for a Stanley Edwards has a January birthday, and a middle name of Victor.

There are other elements of that birth certificate that match with the family we think he likely belongs to, but it's not rock solid. If the service record is solid, accurate evidence of date of birth, then we have the wrong family information stemming from the other birth cert.

Any thoughts/insight greatly appreciated!

Nan
:-)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nan,

Almost all the families of commandos that I have met or carried out research for have said that, "... lied about his age so he could join up."
My own father did - my grandmother found out and sent my grandfather - who was awarded a Military Medal in WWI - down to the local Army HQ to inform on my dad. His enlistment was deferred until he was old enough!
Having eventually joined his regiment and then volunteered for and became a commando, he went with No.5 Commando to fight in Burma & the Far East. He was Wounded in Action along with many of his brothers-in-arms in an ambush.
It was then that it was discovered that he and a good number of his commando colleagues were actually still too young to fight overseas!

As far as I know, no proof of age was required to join up. The young volunteers used to work out a false date of birth - one which would be accepted by the recruiters - and they weren't questioned further.

Have you been using the commercial genealogy search websites such as Ancestry or My Heritage etc.? I'm afraid I don't have a lot of trust in them!
Once you receive the Service Records it will state on there the date of birth and the home address.

In your original post you mention that your mother 'obtained some information from the MoD years ago.' Depending how long ago (e.g. if it was over 8 years ago) then she would have received a typewritten transcript of of his service record, but not the full record.
Also, when you apply to the MoD, tell them that your mother previously applied and only received a transcript - they may waive the £30 fee...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/01/2018 19:41:02

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
CommanCestor
Forum Member

Nick,

It's hard to imagine today how it was possible for the military to accept young men with out proof of age, but it makes sense that they would take whoever was willing and able! What a great story about your father. Your poor grandmother must have been frantic at the thought of her young son going off to fight!

So, it turns out my aunt was the one who requested info from MoD, and forwarded to my mum. It was back in 1995, and no transcript that I know of; just a letter answering her request for info.

Yes, we have been using mostly Ancestry but I think my mum used Roots web and/or My Heritage and Find My Past over the years. I too am a bit suspect of Ancestry, especially their search function. Can be very frustrating at times!

Thanks again,
Nan

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger