commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Accessing service records  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
maria.smyth
Forum Member

I want to find the service record for my uncle who was in No 7 commando His name and rank are in the nominal rolls but no service number given I believe I need this to access records??

His son has asked me to do this for him.
aim icon
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the CVA Website and F.orums. Thanks for contacting us with your query.

Here are the links to the 2 forms you will need to apply to the MoD for your uncle's service records [The MoD are the ONLY custodians of WWII Service Records].

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

Fill out the forms as fully as you can - you do not need his service number if you don't know it, as long as you give his Date of Birth.

You will also need a copy of the Death Certificate and the £30 one off fee. (The fee is waived if your uncle's widow is still with us and signs the form as Next of Kin).

Please do not hesitate to let us know, either by posting on the forum or by PM, if you need any assistance or have any other queries.

You do not mention your uncle's name? Have you looked through the No.7 Cdo Album in the Gallery to see if he's on any of the photos?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/7/

Let us know if you spot him. Perhaps you or your cousin have photos of him that you'd like to share with us - it would be an honour to upload them to our Gallery.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
maria.smyth
Forum Member

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I will pass this on to my cousin.

No my aunt is no longer with us.

I was unable to find any photos of my uncle on 7 commando site.

I remember him telling me he was involved in the battle of crete which I found very interesting as I worked in Crete in 1983 and 1990 and had been to Maleme. I seem to recall he told me that on leaving Crete they were adrift in the Med for some days. It would be amazing to hear the full story.

My uncle was (John) Jack Bourke and he was a Cpl.

Thanks once again.

Maria
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jack was a member of the Warrington Branch of the original Commando Association. His death was announced to members in Commando Association newsletter 84 issued March 1987.
[Thumb - Jack Bourke 7 Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Jack Bourke 7 Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  241 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger